[SOLVED] PSU 520 watt for 3 x rx480 ?

lubosblacksmyth

Honorable
Aug 21, 2017
Hi guys, got a question will 520watt psu hold 3 rx 480 24/7? The psu is Seasonic m12ii-520 evo, good brand, but only bronze rated. Rx 480 are moded according to radeon app they consume 88w each. This may not be correct number(i dont know how this number works) if i count more than 88 i get the number 400w for the whole system. Which is 77% load. Seems high.

Solution
Yeah i had to use 2x molex to 8 pin. (Was trying to buy 8 to 8 pin but in slovakia only female + male is to be found i need 2 males) Gonna run it for a while like this then i will buy second psu I am broke now. It says 260w in the miner but i have read i need to add 50w for each card so its 410w. 78% load not great.
Any time you have to use molex plugs to power graphics cards you are ASKING for problems. Molex was not designed to support the amperage that graphics cards draw. That is a connector waiting to meltdown.
Hi guys, got a question will 520watt psu hold 3 rx 480 24/7? The psu is Seasonic m12ii-520 evo, good brand, but only bronze rated. Rx 480 are moded according to radeon app they consume 88w each. This may not be correct number(i dont know how this number works) if i count more than 88 i get the number 400w for the whole system. Which is 77% load. Seems high.
Using a low budget, low wattage power supply for mining is a bad idea and can be dangerous. There's an article here at Tom's that discusses this matter. Give it a look.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cryptocurrency-mining-power-supplies,5216.html

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Only that this psu when i bought it was tier A or high B tier in toms chart.
You can buy a Kill-A-Watt meter for fairly cheap and it will show how many watts your PC is pulling from the wall.

Most people on this forum can't comprehend mining compared to gaming differences is watts used.

Depending on the rest of your parts your very close. For 24/7 use I would rather see that percentage closer to 70%.

The only other thing is the PSU only has 2 power cables for the video cards.

Reactions: lubosblacksmyth
Only that this psu when i bought it was tier A or high B tier in toms chart.
Sounds like you didn't read the article, I don't know. What you're not understanding is that mining requires very robust, high quality equipment to run reliably and safely at all times, especially the power supply. There is no such thing as a budget mining rig. Hamstringing the system by lowering voltages in order to make up for insufficient hardware is just a bad idea. Good luck with that.

lubosblacksmyth

Honorable
Aug 21, 2017
You can buy a Kill-A-Watt meter for fairly cheap and it will show how many watts your PC is pulling from the wall.

Most people on this forum can't comprehend mining compared to gaming differences is watts used.

Depending on the rest of your parts your very close. For 24/7 use I would rather see that percentage closer to 70%.

The only other thing is the PSU only has 2 power cables for the video cards.
Yeah i had to use 2x molex to 8 pin. (Was trying to buy 8 to 8 pin but in slovakia only female + male is to be found i need 2 males) Gonna run it for a while like this then i will buy second psu I am broke now. It says 260w in the miner but i have read i need to add 50w for each card so its 410w. 78% load not great.

kanewolf

Titan
Any time you have to use molex plugs to power graphics cards you are ASKING for problems. Molex was not designed to support the amperage that graphics cards draw. That is a connector waiting to meltdown.

Solution

lubosblacksmyth

Honorable
Aug 21, 2017
So i tuned it down by slightly i got 40 45w down(just from the cards), turned of aditional fans, plugged out cd-rom (this is my primary pc) and switched cpu to balanced mod instead of max power. So i hope i will not burn down :D in molex we trust. Everythink looks fine. No molex melting no funny smels. Just need to wait for cryptomarket to back on (i lost a bit) i can buy psu with my cryptowallet the store accepts it.