PSU 5v showing 3v?

metalhead0

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Picture

Also the 12volts seem to be showing 14v almost. I do not understand why this is happening and it seems like other software shows the same thing but slightly different and or even weirder. This is a brand new Solidgear 750watt PSU that I just put in. The motherboard seems get really hot and I was wondering if adding heatsinks to the VRM would help out in this situation. It seems my CPU is only getting hot because of this motherboard.

Solution
Stop trying to read your PSU voltages in software, all software guesses how your voltage monitoring chip outputs, they tend to get it wrong for a while. Check your voltages in BIOS and see what it says, it actually knows how to read that chip, if it says that they are out of spec then i'd believe it. Also, get yourself a multimeter from a hardware store, you can use that to check your voltages, that is the most accurate way to see what they are once you are booted into windows. Software voltage readings are all across the board, HW Monitor used to read my 12V rail as 7V, it took another year worth of updates before it finally read as 12Vish.

metalhead0

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I appreciate the reply and I realize this now after I already spent $68 on it. I feel like my processor is not doing it's job as much as it should be. I get a lot of stutters and what not playing games that should be 60fps. So should I get a new board or any suggestions?

metalhead0

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Can you explain to me why my voltages would be reading this way? I looked at speedfan, it says my 12v rail is at 9.50v. Obviously that's wrong, and I did my research and decided to check out my bios sensors from MSI Control Center (which I think reads the CPU temps wrong because they reach high temperatures such as 70-75c but core temps are only around 60's. Does it have anything to do with the VRM running hot? I can obviously see how this boards not very good, but where are the pros to getting the 990FX board, and can you give me a suggestion?

Never heard of that PSU make, but if it's giving over spec voltages that might very well explain the high temperatures.
I've found built in voltage sensors to be very unreliable, unless you know how to use a voltmeter safely, the only way to check them is to drop the system into a repair shop so they can verify the power supply out put voltages.
And it needs to be done urgently, if it's giving an extra 2v on the 12v line it could end up frying the entire system.
From the specs in you other thread you'll want about 600-650 Watts with dual 6+2 pin PCI-E leads from a good maker: Antec, Corsair, OCZ, XFX, Silverstone or Seasonic, expect to pay less than $70 US shipped.

Stop trying to read your PSU voltages in software, all software guesses how your voltage monitoring chip outputs, they tend to get it wrong for a while. Check your voltages in BIOS and see what it says, it actually knows how to read that chip, if it says that they are out of spec then i'd believe it. Also, get yourself a multimeter from a hardware store, you can use that to check your voltages, that is the most accurate way to see what they are once you are booted into windows. Software voltage readings are all across the board, HW Monitor used to read my 12V rail as 7V, it took another year worth of updates before it finally read as 12Vish.

Solution

metalhead0

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I appreciate the reply. MSI Control Center says they're fine. This PSU seems to be fine.