[SOLVED] PSU 700 watts with gtx 1060 3gb

Oct 19, 2019
Hello.
I am currently using a8 7600 with psu 700 watts without 80+. now my question is can use gtx 1060 3gb with my cpu and psu for a long time?

Solution
ahh nope it doesnt have that one too
Then you don't have a power supply that SHOULD be used with the 1060 graphics card. Molex to PCIe adapters are asking for trouble. Molex was not designed to supply the amperage needed for graphics cards. Could you make it work? Probably. Will it be reliable? Unknown.

This thread about your power supply -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-use-my-powerlogic-psu-to-power-my-system.3336605/ says that you should replace it if you want a stable system ...

That is ALSO my recommendation.
Oct 19, 2019
Then that is your first REQUIRED task. Find out what supplemental power the GPU requires and what PCIe power plugs your power supply has. If it is a modular power supply, you might have a bag of "unused" cables. Hopefully you didn't throw them out.
it needs 6pin and my psu doesnt have but i can buy 6pin converter. right?

kanewolf

Titan
ahh nope it doesnt have that one too
Then you don't have a power supply that SHOULD be used with the 1060 graphics card. Molex to PCIe adapters are asking for trouble. Molex was not designed to supply the amperage needed for graphics cards. Could you make it work? Probably. Will it be reliable? Unknown.

This thread about your power supply -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-use-my-powerlogic-psu-to-power-my-system.3336605/ says that you should replace it if you want a stable system ...

That is ALSO my recommendation.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need a steak knife to cut steak, almost any knife will do, and thats the idea behind using adapters to force a gpu to work on psu's not designed for that purpose.

But what you want to attempt is similar to cutting a steak with one of those plastic butter knives you get at picnics.

In theory, 700w is far more than necessary, but in reality the insides of that psu are not designed for a gaming gpu, of any sort, and the manufacturer knows this, so it didn't include the necessary connectors.

Sorry, but you'll need a real knife for this job, the plastic one isn't going to cut it.