Question PSU Accidentally switched from 220v to 115v and it went bang

Nov 27, 2020
PSU Accidentally switched from 220v to 115v and it went bang. No smoke, no spark just a loud bang. Will my components be alright.
I have an old OEM psu called Bestec on HP 3000 MT with a Core 2 Duo E8400.

Ralston18

Titan
No way to really know.

Determining what specifically went "bang" might provide some insight.

Electricity travels very fast and will follow any path it can get any especially the literal path of least resistance.

If the damage is/was restricted to just the PSU then the computer may have survived completely. Or maybe just had a couple of components damaged.

Damage may or may not be visible.

No harm in unplugging the computer and inspecting everything inside with a bright flashlight. Look for signs of melting, bare conductor showing, black/brown streaks , burn marks, swollen components, etc..

As for truly working (aka "alright") you will need to breadboard each component in another known working computer. Which entails some risk to that computer if the component being tested is damaged in a manner to cause a domino effect.

Pull the drives and at least get your data backed up before doing anything.

Nov 27, 2020
a
No way to really know.

Determining what specifically went "bang" might provide some insight.

Electricity travels very fast and will follow any path it can get any especially the literal path of least resistance.

If the damage is/was restricted to just the PSU then the computer may have survived completely. Or maybe just had a couple of components damaged.

Damage may or may not be visible.

No harm in unplugging the computer and inspecting everything inside with a bright flashlight. Look for signs of melting, bare conductor showing, black/brown streaks , burn marks, swollen components, etc..

As for truly working (aka "alright") you will need to breadboard each component in another known working computer. Which entails some risk to that computer if the component being tested is damaged in a manner to cause a domino effect.

Pull the drives and at least get your data backed up before doing anything.
PSU is the one that went bang. Tomorrow my PSU is going to be shipped. I'll be testing it and update the thread. Also, there's no Burnt marks on any components. Does it mean I just need to replace PSU?

USAFRet

Titan
Tomorrow my PSU is going to be shipped. I'll be testing it and update the thread. Also, there's no Burnt marks on any components. Does it mean I just need to replace PSU?
Lack of burn marks does not indicate zero problems.

From a recent lightning strike, several components and functions got cooked.
Looking at the ethernet port on my motherboad....zero burn/scorch marks.
But, that port was killed completely. (along with other things in other devices)

Nov 27, 2020
Lack of burn marks does not indicate zero problems.

From a recent lightning strike, several components and functions got cooked.
Looking at the ethernet port on my motherboad....zero burn/scorch marks.
But, that port was killed completely. (along with other things in other devices)
I guess I'm toast then

The PSU is dead, but the parts are going to be fine.

All that 115V/230V switch does is doubles the voltage at 115V using a rectifier so the bus voltage is at the correct operating voltage. You just blew up a primary rectifier at the most. At the very least the fuse blew.

Nov 27, 2020
Isn't the HP 3000 MT proprietary? What did you get for a replacement power supply and where did it come from?
I got another Generic PSU to test my system and buy a new branded one if it works but none of them works. Just the fans of the case, CpU cooler and GPu. I already tried to breadboard but NO BEEPS were heard. Im guessing my mobo died on me

TRENDING THREADS