[SOLVED] PSU Adapter for Rx 580 nitro+'S 8 pins, 2x6 or only 6 to 8?

sylleryum

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2014
Hi All,
I have a 500w PSU (500r Atx C3tech) with 2x6 pin PCIE and 1 ATX 12V 8 pin (4+4) from which I use 4 to power the CPU and I want to power my new Rx 580 nitro+ which needs 8 pin.
Is it safe to use an adapter to power the 8 pins from the GPU? If so, should I use an 2x6 to 8 or 6 to 8?
Thanks!

Solution
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 - Specs Page.

The specifications page for that card seems to indicate that it requires both a 6-pin AND and 8-pin pcie power connector. If your power supply does not have these connectors, then I would not attempt to use it with your graphics card (with or without adapters). If it fails, it could very well take your shiny new graphics card and the rest of your computer with it.

However, if you choose to ignore the above warning, you should be able to connect one 6-pin pcie power connector from the power supply to each of the power ports on the graphics card (you should still be able to connect a six-pin to the 8-pin power port). This will provide a maximum of 225 watts to the graphics card.

Again this is...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 - Specs Page.

The specifications page for that card seems to indicate that it requires both a 6-pin AND and 8-pin pcie power connector. If your power supply does not have these connectors, then I would not attempt to use it with your graphics card (with or without adapters). If it fails, it could very well take your shiny new graphics card and the rest of your computer with it.

However, if you choose to ignore the above warning, you should be able to connect one 6-pin pcie power connector from the power supply to each of the power ports on the graphics card (you should still be able to connect a six-pin to the 8-pin power port). This will provide a maximum of 225 watts to the graphics card.

Again this is NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!
If the graphics card attempts to draw more power than your power supply can currently provide, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, it will only shut down your computer. If you're not lucky, your power supply could blow up and destroy all the other components in your computer.
Again this is NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!

-Wolf sends

Solution