[SOLVED] PSU advice for a GA-Z97P-D3 Motherboard and Radeon RX 580 GPU ?

Jul 24, 2021
Hi,

So I'm looking for a new PSU unit for my tower computer, currently when I play so high end games my computer will randomly restart itself.
This only happens when the graphics card is installed though. I had to replace it as the previous one just stopped working. One thing I did notice was that the old card (see specs) required two power leads from the PSU compared to the RX 580. in theory my existing 750w PSU should be enough but it doesn't seem so, is there something I'm doing wrong or missing? something I don't know about older PSU that changed in the past decade? Thanks in advance for any info provided

Current spec:
CPU: intel-i5-4690k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
GPU: ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING previous graphics card was a Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750w G1 GOLD 80+ Modular PSU (scroll down)

Memory:
16GB of RAM across 4 sticks
2 hard drive, 1 SSD 1 SATA

Solution
Hi,

So I'm looking for a new PSU unit for my tower computer, currently when I play so high end games my computer will randomly restart itself.
This only happens when the graphics card is installed though. I had to replace it as the previous one just stopped working. One thing I did notice was that the old card (see specs) required two power leads from the PSU compared to the RX 580. in theory my existing 750w PSU should be enough but it doesn't seem so, is there something I'm doing wrong or missing? something I don't know about older PSU that changed in the past decade? Thanks in advance for any info provided

Current spec:
GPU: ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING previous...
Hi,

Current spec:
GPU: ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING previous graphics card was a Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750w G1 GOLD 80+ Modular PSU (scroll down)

Memory:
16GB of RAM across 4 sticks
2 hard drive, 1 SSD 1 SATA
Your PSU Should be more than fine for your specs. The usage wont be much bigger than 400W, even if you have i7 4790K or i7 5775C overclocked past 4.5GHz++. But in case you want to replace the psu, Corsair RM650/RM650X or Cougar GX-F650 would be enough.

Solution