Build Advice PSU advice on build

kennnyolo

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016
Hi folks.

Working on a build and so far I got these.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/nqqp99

New I'm a total newbie but I do know PSU is critical to the life (or death) of any PC. First things first, is 850w going to be an overkill ? I have tried a few voltage calculator but each gives me different results ranging from 750w all the way to 900w. I plan to do some light overclocking on the PC...Currently looking at 850w Gold 80 plus PSUs but can't really tell the differences between the brands and versions.

I have heard brands like EVGA & Corsair make good PSUs but the models could still have varying impact. Please, enlighten me with your expert knowledge here...Thanks !

170 dollars for 3 fans doesn't sound like much of a proposition to me.

You presumably need at least 1 hard drive. Try to make it an SSD, but an NVMe SSD is not a necessity.

Up to you to know how much total storage capacity you need. Windows needs around 30 GB. Some people like to keep everything on 1 drive. Others split it up. Not a major deal.

Reactions: Why_Me

kennnyolo

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016
170 dollars for 3 fans doesn't sound like much of a proposition to me.

You presumably need at least 1 hard drive. Try to make it an SSD, but an NVMe SSD is not a necessity.

Up to you to know how much total storage capacity you need. Windows needs around 30 GB. Some people like to keep everything on 1 drive. Others split it up. Not a major deal.
Hi thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't include too many details but yes I do have 2 SSDs from Samsung (250gb & 500gb) that I plan to use on the new build. I am more confused with PSUs coz there are many voices e.g. avoid Gigabyte their PSUs are terrible / Go with Seasonic they are solid. Would the EVGA PSU I picked do okay ? Or should I look at other alternatives ? If I don't actually need 850w then I can also look at other models. Any suggestions on that end please ?

850w is what you want for that system. 3200mhz memory is fine, the Asus B660 prime has bad VRM's vs the MSI Pro. With that said you need a Z690 board in order to run two M.2 SSD's at their rated speed due to the Z690 chipset's extra PCIe lanes. Spending that kind of money on fans seems a bit out of place imo when that money could be spent on a 2x16GB set of RAM.

Reactions: kennnyolo
Hi thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't include too many details but yes I do have 2 SSDs from Samsung (250gb & 500gb) that I plan to use on the new build. I am more confused with PSUs coz there are many voices e.g. avoid Gigabyte their PSUs are terrible / Go with Seasonic they are solid. Would the EVGA PSU I picked do okay ? Or should I look at other alternatives ? If I don't actually need 850w then I can also look at other models. Any suggestions on that end please ?

Look for something mentioned at the above link;

Look for something in gold text, with 850 watts.

Find 2 or 3. Price them at your sources.

Tell us what you found, from where, at what price. Maybe a link to each.

kennnyolo

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016
850w is what you want for that system. 3200mhz memory is fine, the Asus B660 prime has bad VRM's vs the MSI Pro. With that said you need a Z690 board in order to run two M.2 SSD's at their rated speed due to the Z690 chipset's extra PCIe lanes. Spending that kind of money on fans seems a bit out of place imo when that money could be spent on a 2x16GB set of RAM.
Thanks for advice. The SSDs I have are regular 2.5" actually sorry for confusion. I believe B660 would do okay with that ? On the other hand, yes I know the RGB is taking a toll on my budgeting, but with the Corsair case setup it comes with 3 RGB fans and this is my first ever "RGB build". I'd like to match with some "better" quality RGB fans. It seems Corsair LL series are both quiet and good quality thus that....

Reactions: Why_Me

kennnyolo

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016

Look for something mentioned at the above link;

Look for something in gold text, with 850 watts.

Find 2 or 3. Price them at your sources.

Tell us what you found, from where, at what price. Maybe a link to each.
Thanks man. Currently comparing these.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=172860
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=187591
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=137675

Corsair one seems to be quite popular. Prices seem to be very similar as well....I also want to look at the Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold but that seems to be out of stock everywhere even on Amazon CA.

TRENDING THREADS