Question PSU advice

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
I found 2 psus that fit my budget: Corsair Vengeance V550M(bronze one,NOT the 80+silver) and Cooler Master Masterwatt 550W. I'm looking to be silent enough and decent quality. What do you think?

My build is Ryzen 5 3600x(stock), 2x8gb ram, gtx 1070(maybe upgrade to 1080), 2 drives(hdd+ssd).

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using Tapatalk

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
be silent enough
THis is a little more difficult, as PSUs are engineered to be quiet or not, and more budget friendly ones aren't necessarily engineered to be quiet. You'd sooner have to look a specific quiet model for this.

However it should be noted that the Vengeance bronze isn't even manufactured anymore, it is discontinued and was totally replaced by the Vengeance Silver.

What is your budget for the PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well if you want excellent quality and quiet, you'd have to up the budget unfortunately. You'd sooner want to look at Seasonic FOCUS Plus or Corsair RMx for example. Depending on your location some be quiets ones too.

But if I had to choose I'd choose the CXM. As I'd favour quality over quiet. Those are the kind of bare minimum that are still decent enough quality :)

I couldn't comment too well on the SilentiumPC one but I know they're a mixed bag only available to certain parts of the world. However my understanding is the M2 Supremo are not that great and wouldn't be preferred over a CXM

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire&Cold

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
Well if you want excellent quality and quiet, you'd have to up the budget unfortunately. You'd sooner want to look at Seasonic FOCUS Plus or Corsair RMx for example. Depending on your location some be quiets ones too.

But if I had to choose I'd choose the CXM. As I'd favour quality over quiet. Those are the kind of bare minimum that are still decent enough quality :)

I couldn't comment too well on the SilentiumPC one but I know they're a mixed bag only available to certain parts of the world. However my understanding is the M2 Supremo are not that great and wouldn't be preferred over a CXM
Thanks! I see there is a CX series which is the non-modular CXM from what I found. Do you know if are differences between CX and CXM?

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using Tapatalk

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
CX is preferred. Its the non modular version that has LLC and the CXM has a double forward front end. So CX is preferable typically, but not much seperates them.
Thanks again! And about a Be Quiet! Sytem Power 9 600W Bronze you know somehing? Is a bit cheaper than CXM series but can't find reviews.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's probably around the same league as the CX/CXM however in the 450W, 550W, 650W, 750W, and 850W models all have 5 years warranty as opposed to the SP9 of 3. So the tiny bit extra is worth the extra 2 years guarantee IMO.

I tend to find you can gather a lot by the warranty offered on a PSU on how good quality the PSU is:

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example many Seasonics and top Corsair come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:

• Corsair VS (poorer quality) = 3 years
• EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poor quality) = 3 years
• Corsair CX (decent quality) = 5 years
• Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
• Corsair RMx (great quality) = 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire&Cold

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
It's probably around the same league as the CX/CXM however in the 450W, 550W, 650W, 750W, and 850W models all have 5 years warranty as opposed to the SP9 of 3. So the tiny bit extra is worth the extra 2 years guarantee IMO.

I tend to find you can gather a lot by the warranty offered on a PSU on how good quality the PSU is:

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example many Seasonics and top Corsair come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:

• Corsair VS (poorer quality) = 3 years
• EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poor quality) = 3 years
• Corsair CX (decent quality) = 5 years
• Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
• Corsair RMx (great quality) = 10 years.
And about TXM? I read that is louder than CXM due the worse fan but the quality seems to be better according to review and hierarcy. I should go with CXM for quieter operation or TXM for better quality? I see that TXM has japanese capacitors, the CXM has the same?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
TXM is undoubtedly the better choice over the CXM. And has a 7 year warranty. For noise I wouldn't worry, I also run a system with a CXM and it's pretty loud under heaviest loads (but otherwise very quiet) I've only seen the TXM be an improvement.

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
TXM is undoubtedly the better choice over the CXM. And has a 7 year warranty. For noise I wouldn't worry, I also run a system with a CXM and it's pretty loud under heaviest loads (but otherwise very quiet) I've only seen the TXM be an improvement.
Alright! The TX550M is about $82. Is worth for this price?