[SOLVED] PSU Advice

May 21, 2020
So I bought a TX650M about a month ago, and noticed it was clicking on startup/shut down, and before I did any research I submitted a ticket to Corsair asking what it was as it was a brand new unit.
I took to the internet and had a look around and everywhere I went, people said clicking is fine, its a relay switch. So with that it put my mind at rest and I moved on with it.
I got a reply from Corsair yesterday asking for some more details reguarding the click and could I send them a picture of the PSU sticker on the unit, didnt ask to record the click or anything.
So after replying and showing it they have said that the same unit is out of stock but they can replace it with https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...ries-2015-config/p/CP-9020061-UK#tab-overview (CX750M)
Now untill this it was my understanding that the PSU was meant to click, but now im not sure.
So my question(s) here would be:
1: Should I tell them that my research while waiting for an answer from them suggested the click was fine?
2a: Should I just accept the offer, get a replacement and send this one back to them?
2b: If yes to 2a, is the CX750M a decent PSU?

Solution
Well can't argue with a Company who feels that because you think there's something wrong with the product, is willing to ship you a brand new item at their cost and expense to make sure you are happy and satisfied.

There's far too many places that'd just ignore you, tell you it's normal and hang up, or dismiss your feelings as irrelevant or try every which way to get around Not having to honor any warranty. Seems to me you could have made far worse choices in a psu.
May 21, 2020
the CX750M is way worse than the TX650M, if it's the current TX

Guess it depends on the clicking. my PSU clicks once at start up and once at shut down and once the fan comes on or off. that's normal. it's a distinctive sound.

Its more like a 'pop' than a click on startup and a click once the whole PC has powered down.

https://soundgasm.net/u/MrZL/PSU-Click this is the power down click, but those are the only 2 instances where it makes a noise

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That 'bang' at the end? That's not a 'click' lol. That sounds more like you have a grounding issue or a higher amperage load on the circuit, not a psu problem, like the psu is saying 'I want to turn off' and smacking the connection to get loose.

I'd temporarily run an extension cord to the nearest bathroom/kitchen circuit as those are generally low load, outlet only circuits, while bedrooms/living rooms can be linked to other rooms and include everything from lighting to clocks to Tv's and stereo equipment etc, see if the noise is the same.

Everything is running out/out of stock currently, covid has done a number on even Corsair shop stock, so it's not surprising the TX is out of stock. Ordinarily Corsair would send a equitable replacement, but they have to weigh what they have left vrs your need for a psu, like now. So the CX was a compromise, not an intentional downgrade. If you feel you can wait for stock to balance out, I don't see Corsair having any issues with sending a TX as a warranty replacement, should the 'click/bang' persist or get worse.

So I bought a TX650M about a month ago, and noticed it was clicking on startup/shut down, and before I did any research I submitted a ticket to Corsair asking what it was as it was a brand new unit.

It's the in-rush current bypass relay. It's a normal sound. It means it's a better quality PSU because it uses a relay instead of an NTC thermistor.

the CX750M is way worse than the TX650M, if it's the current TX

I wouldn't say "way worse." The VS is "way worse" than the TX-M. :D

May 21, 2020
That 'bang' at the end? That's not a 'click' lol. That sounds more like you have a grounding issue or a higher amperage load on the circuit, not a psu problem, like the psu is saying 'I want to turn off' and smacking the connection to get loose.

I'd temporarily run an extension cord to the nearest bathroom/kitchen circuit as those are generally low load, outlet only circuits, while bedrooms/living rooms can be linked to other rooms and include everything from lighting to clocks to Tv's and stereo equipment etc, see if the noise is the same.

Everything is running out/out of stock currently, covid has done a number on even Corsair shop stock, so it's not surprising the TX is out of stock. Ordinarily Corsair would send a equitable replacement, but they have to weigh what they have left vrs your need for a psu, like now. So the CX was a compromise, not an intentional downgrade. If you feel you can wait for stock to balance out, I don't see Corsair having any issues with sending a TX as a warranty replacement, should the 'click/bang' persist or get worse.

no just before the bang lol, that was me bashing my phone on the PC case, its at 11 seconds the click, very faint

May 21, 2020
I'm not sure why you want to replace a perfectly normal operating product.

It's funny how you want to assume the click is NOT normal before considering that it might be normal.

I suffer from Misophonia, so any noise that I wouldnt expect a product to make causes me to have a panic attack - I didnt assume it was wrong, I contacted Cosair for clarification on the subject, then did my own research. Found out the sound is normal, and then when they replied to me they instantly wanted to replace it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well can't argue with a Company who feels that because you think there's something wrong with the product, is willing to ship you a brand new item at their cost and expense to make sure you are happy and satisfied.

There's far too many places that'd just ignore you, tell you it's normal and hang up, or dismiss your feelings as irrelevant or try every which way to get around Not having to honor any warranty. Seems to me you could have made far worse choices in a psu.

Reactions: refillable
Solution
I suffer from Misophonia, so any noise that I wouldnt expect a product to make causes me to have a panic attack - I didnt assume it was wrong, I contacted Cosair for clarification on the subject, then did my own research. Found out the sound is normal, and then when they replied to me they instantly wanted to replace it

How do you turn off/on your PC? Do you shut down and then cut the power to the PSU? Or do you just shut down in Windows and leave the PC in standby?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you push 'Shutdown' in Windows, that's misleading. All that does is shutdown the OS. It doesn't shutdown the pc. You still get power through the psu for stuff like wake timers, USB charging, the Power On button, etc. The psu remains in a standby mode.

You can't fully shutdown the pc unless flipping the I/O button in the rear, or pulling the plug.

May 21, 2020
When you push 'Shutdown' in Windows, that's misleading. All that does is shutdown the OS. It doesn't shutdown the pc. You still get power through the psu for stuff like wake timers, USB charging, the Power On button, etc. The psu remains in a standby mode.

You can't fully shutdown the pc unless flipping the I/O button in the rear, or pulling the plug.

I did not know this, but yeah I click the shutdown on windows