Question PSU Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2020
I purchased a BFL 850 prominer series labeled as 80 + gold. It seemed to have mostly good reviews and any complains where derived from lack of cables. I checked and I have all of them.

Jul 4, 2020
What year is this???
Butterfly Labs???

Butterfly Labs PSUs are not 80 PLUS certified. Furthermore, they're made by Great Wall who also has no 80 PLUS certifications.

Hope it only cost you about $2.

What do you plan to do for cables?
Made by Great Wall? I never heard of BFL850's being made by great wall. The 80+ gold is fake then? I read about BFL's bankruptcy and it really didn't have anything to do with psu reliability.

also cables are ok.

Oh. I thought you said there was a LACK of cables.

Yeah. The 80 PLUS is fake. And yes, it's made by Great Wall. I actually have a couple of the BFL 1250Ws that I blew up on the Chroma.

But you're right.... BFL did not go bankrupt because of bad power supplies. :D People all over the world use bad power supplies to mine for crypto currency and not care because the stress of mining killed the graphics card before the poor output quality of the PSU had a chance to.

Jul 4, 2020
I can only find the documentation provided to me by Great Wall for the 1250W and 1600W Butterfly Labs PSU. But those are 80 PLUS Bronze.

There is an 80 PLUS Gold 850W Great Wall PSU with the suffix of "BL" that we can assume stands for Butterfly Labs, but the modular interface looks completely different than Butterfly Lab's: https://clearesult5.sharepoint.com/sites/PLS/Shared Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=/sites/PLS/Shared Documents/CHINA GREAT WALL COMPUTER SHENZHEN CO.,LTD._GW-ATX850BL_850W_ECOS 4401_Report.pdf&parent=/sites/PLS/Shared Documents&p=true&originalPath=aHR0cHM6Ly9jbGVhcmVzdWx0NS5zaGFyZXBvaW50LmNvbS86Yjovcy9QTFMvRVNQWThYTlh5d3RDcWFfdjhuNmNaVDBCVlhLVE9maVlwSEJTV0JvRDhLQUxydz9ydGltZT1EOGh5Mm8wZzJFZw
So you were wrong then? Also I can't open the file with my office account.

So you were wrong then? Also I can't open the file with my office account.

I said: We can ASSUME that "BL" in the Great Wall part number may stand for Butterfly Labs, but the PSU looks completely different than the actual Butterfly Labs unit.

It doesn't even use the same kind of modular cables.

Apparently the links to 80 PLUS reports can't be copied and pasted.

So, just go to 80plus.com, click on the "click here" in the upper left hand cell of the table, type "China" in the manufacturer field and 850 in the wattage field.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd trust my cat to replace my garbage disposal before I'd trust those eBay "reviews." Reviewing a PSU properly requires specialized equipment.

One thing worth noting: Butterfly Labs went out of business a year before the testing of the power supply for 80 Plus certification in 2015.

And PSUs not tested until just six months ago by Great Wall still had "BL" in the model.

Jul 4, 2020
I'd trust my cat to replace my garbage disposal before I'd trust those eBay "reviews." Reviewing a PSU properly requires specialized equipment.

One thing worth noting: Butterfly Labs went out of business a year before the testing of the power supply for 80 Plus certification in 2015.

And PSUs not tested until just six months ago by Great Wall still had "BL" in the model.
I never said thos Ebay Reviews were anything like the testing that the actual PSU goes into before being sold. It just might be a reference that the actual unit isn't total crap. I'm sure if BFL had given bad power supplies, the FTC would have addressed it.

Jul 4, 2020
I said: We can ASSUME that "BL" in the Great Wall part number may stand for Butterfly Labs, but the PSU looks completely different than the actual Butterfly Labs unit.

It doesn't even use the same kind of modular cables.

Apparently the links to 80 PLUS reports can't be copied and pasted.

So, just go to 80plus.com, click on the "click here" in the upper left hand cell of the table, type "China" in the manufacturer field and 850 in the wattage field.
Butterfly Labs uses, BFL, not BL so I don't think their PSUS are made by GreatWall, and even if it was GreatWall made severeal 80+ or better PSUS. I think a lot of the worries about this PSU stem from the fact that the were shut down in 2014 for unrelated reasons but people still have their doubts, and if BFL made bad PSUS, the FTC would have addressed it. I don't think the 80+ database carries bankrupt companies anyways. To fill ou t a form for your PSU on 80plus.com it states 2 production options, which is currently in production or production ready, (certified and ready for market). BFL is in no way shape or form certified for the market since they are bankrupt, so if they were 80+, they were probably removed in 2014.

I never said thos Ebay Reviews were anything like the testing that the actual PSU goes into before being sold. It just might be a reference that the actual unit isn't total crap. I'm sure if BFL had given bad power supplies, the FTC would have addressed it.
You are kidding, there are plenty of garbage psu being sold that are fire hazards and actually burn under independent tests yet they are still sold. The psu is the heart of the pc, powers everything. A dirty power supply will reduce the life of other components and if it fails it can take out any/all connected components. It’s really not worth the risk and we are sharing advice having seen what bad psu’s can do to pc’s.

Jul 4, 2020
You are kidding, there are plenty of garbage psu being sold that are fire hazards and actually burn under independent tests yet they are still sold. The psu is the heart of the pc, powers everything. A dirty power supply will reduce the life of other components and if it fails it can take out any/all connected components. It’s really not worth the risk and we are sharing advice having seen what bad psu’s can do to pc’s.
i get a bad psu can ruin everytihng, but if this was a bad psu, wouldn't have people mentioned and the FTC have mentioned that specifically the BFL850 prominer series 80 + gold (or not) 850 watt fully modular power supply was a rip off?

Jul 4, 2020
i get a bad psu can ruin everytihng, but if this was a bad psu, wouldn't have people mentioned and the FTC have mentioned that specifically the BFL850 prominer series 80 + gold (or not) 850 watt fully modular power supply was a rip off?
by independent tests do you refer to just normal people using them?

Just Google psu explodes, catches fire to see psu’s catastrophically failing before getting anywhere near their rated wattage. This also doesn’t show those that provide ‘dirty’ power that will reduce the life of components. Also a high quality psu will come with a 7-10 warranty that covers the whole pc in the unlikely event that it does fail.

At the end of the day it’s your pc and if you feel comfortable with the risk then use it. If it was me I wouldn’t use it but it’s not my pc.

Jul 4, 2020
Just Google psu explodes, catches fire to see psu’s catastrophically failing before getting anywhere near their rated wattage. This also doesn’t show those that provide ‘dirty’ power that will reduce the life of components. Also a high quality psu will come with a 7-10 warranty that covers the whole pc in the unlikely event that it does fail.

At the end of the day it’s your pc and if you feel comfortable with the risk then use it. If it was me I wouldn’t use it but it’s not my pc.
I want to try at least. If it does explode I have no one to blame but myself. I don't think it will but we will have to see.

I want to try at least. If it does explode I have no one to blame but myself. I don't think it will but we will have to see.
As mentioned, the exploding psu is only one of the downsides. Could be your psu becomes unstable, could be other components in the pc prematurely die or you could be ok. The exploding is the worst case but there are other reasons to buy high quality psu’s.

Jul 4, 2020
As mentioned, the exploding psu is only one of the downsides. Could be your psu becomes unstable, could be other components in the pc prematurely die or you could be ok. The exploding is the worst case but there are other reasons to buy high quality psu’s.
I remember I used a dell/other PSU inside of a prebuilt and I had no issues, but components were low end. It was previously used by my uncle.

Butterfly Labs uses, BFL, not BL so I don't think their PSUS are made by GreatWall, and even if it was GreatWall made severeal 80+ or better PSUS.

I know for a fact that Great Wall made all of Butterfly Labs PSUs. Not sure why you want to dissmiss my knowledge on that.

I also know that 80 PLUS doesn't remove reports of PSUs that are discontinued or when the company no longer exists.

But you can keep making stuff up if you'd like... Or you can read my signature and realize I might know what I'm talking about.

Good point. I hadn't noticed that. I was just trying to throw the OP a bone by saying it was possibly the same since GW made their PSUs.

Back story: When BFL went out of business, they left GW with a huge inventory. They approached Corsair about taking them. Crypto currency mining was still huge. So even though the PSUs were garbage, we considered it and decided we would only give the PSU a one year warranty. Then about 6 months into that project, the Crypto currency market crashed and we cancelled the project.

Jul 4, 2020
I know for a fact that Great Wall made all of Butterfly Labs PSUs. Not sure why you want to dissmiss my knowledge on that.

I also know that 80 PLUS doesn't remove reports of PSUs that are discontinued or when the company no longer exists.

But you can keep making stuff up if you'd like... Or you can read my signature and realize I might know what I'm talking about.
I am not saying you are wrong, you probably are right but idk where you got the information that great wall made bfl psus. I hope they did because Great wall did make several 80+ power supplies and this is probably one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.