binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Hello

I am looking to upgrade my Graphics card and I am worried about my PSU

I have a Soltek Qbic 3401. 250W psu, 3.0GHz P4 Northwood cpu, 1GB RAM 2 x 512MB , Intel 865G, 2 x HDD , 2 x 5.25" drives (1 DVD RW, 1 CDRW) and at the moment I have ATI 9600XT

This is a SFF box , micro ATX I think

I am looking at the X800GTO or GF6800GS

do I need to worry about the PSU ?

If so suggestions for a replacement welcome

drunken_izools

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Ouch. I'm guessing thats some tiny icle SFF PSU aswell. If not, then go down to the stores and grab yourself atleast a 350W.

It's probably really struggling as it is with that setup, but chuck in an X800 and you will be really pushing it. I wouldn't even try with your 250W - purely because there is a chance it will kill your PSU... which could in turn fry half your machine.

Having said that, I once ran a 2.6GHz P4 O/C to 3GHz with a '9800 and 2x S-ATA drives in RAID - plus a whole lot of cooling and lighting running off the 12V. But I was lucky. Prescott will drain a lot more power.

But I digress. Reccomend ye grab atleast a 350W for yourself - and avoid cheap brand PSUs at all costs. At the very least you should go for HiPer (Poor mans decent PSU) or antec / enermax / tagan / zalman / OCZ (if yu can afford it) to name a few.

duality

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
It all depends; if your box accepts micro ATX PSU as opposed to regular ATX PSU, I think the highest wattage you can get is 300--and Seasonic makes that, I think.

If not--well, looks like someone swears by Fortron Source; that's a good one. Other names I will drop that you can trust: Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power, Zalman. Other makers, I'm not too sure. As long as you don't cheap out on nameless PSUs you should be okay. That means no 520W PSU for $25.

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
A standard power supply will not fit in to case

The one in it at the moment is a Soltek power supply model number ENP-2725d

It is Micro ATX

I'll have a look for the Seasonic

I am in the UK so I will end up paying double what you pay in the US :(

Thanks for the advice

BTW found a SilentX branded PSU that might be good

click here

just heard back from XFX they recommend 450 W PSU !!!

using the load calculators on the stick they said 312W and 280W

I used GF6800GT instead of GS

So I was thinking 320W SilentX not the modular as I am unsure whether the modualr bit will fit