PSU and CPU base Wattage

Dec 14, 2018
UPDATE!
I bought Kill-a-Watt device and here is ACTUAL Wattage usage of my server, if it helps anyone. The Wattage data is read directly from Kill-A Watt device, s it's not a speculation or theory.

Server:
i7-8700 w integrated graphics
M.2 NVMe SSD, 500G
2x9GB RAM
8" portable monitor attached via USB
wired USB mouse attached
wired USB mini keyboard
Noctua CPU fan (92mm)
Chassis fan

Installed Software:
- VMware ESXI
- Full Ubuntu OS

PSU:
Silverstone 300Watts
fan turns on if temp is 50 Celsius....this has not happened ONCE in 3 days of very intensive activity.

When machine is up and running and I am doing resource intense tasks (reads/writes + fans operating 100%, my Watt usage NEVER EXCEEDED 18 Watts (eighteen Watts), which is 6% of my PSU (300Watts).

Max Watts usage is 29 Watts (twenty nine Watts), and is reached only when I work in BIOS. This is 10% of my PSU unit

My server is equidistant from me like my iMac (~2 feets). I can here fan in my iMac. As for my server, I don't even know whether server is running, until I look whether fan in chassis is rotating or not.

I only conclude that ALMOST ALL power usage calculators are GROSSLY OVERESTIMATING PSU requirements, as almost all of them stateed minimum 275 Watts PSU.

Furthermore, ASUS motherboard manual clearly states that if PSU is not powerfull enough, the worst that can happen is that motherboard won't power up.

In terms of motherboard being fried, a friend in electrical engineering told me that if that happens it's because of FAULTY/BROKEN/MALFUNCTIONING PSU or lack of use of power surge protector. It has nothing to do with correctly functioning PSU. If the PSU is not powerfull enough, the worst case scenario is that motherboard won't power up.

My recommendation is:
- BUY Power Outlet Surge protector FIRST (Often these are extension cord). It should be rated to 1000 or more Jules. Mine has 1500 Juls and $10,000 warranty on anything it fries.
- Buy PSU based on (CPU+GPU) + 30%.

*****Previous POST******

My MoBo has: CPU+integrated graphic card-no overclocking (max 65W), 2RAM sticks, M.2 SSD, 2x 3.5" HDD, and noctua (NH-L9I) CPU fan.

I am looking to buy 180W picoPSU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TWE6B8/?creativeASIN=B005TWE6B8&linkCode=w61&imprToken=e3D6Nb-zROXexb75q7l7Cg&slotNum=4&tag=tonymacx86com-20

because it's tiny, it leaves more airflow in my chassis, generates less heat, and it does not require fan (silence). I got the idea from: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/eriks-tiny-but-mighty-htpc-asrock-z370m-itx-ac-i5-8400-uhd-630-graphics-high-sierra.239157/

What could possibly be the reason for needing more PSU?

May on forums state formula (without GPU!) as : CPU (Watts) + 30% of CPU (Watts).
The proposed picoPSU would cover 3 times the power of MAX CPU (3x65~180Watts).

This computer will be used solely as home NAS/home mini server. 99% of time it will be idle. At other times, It may be syncing files, running plex, or doing some db queries.

Almost ALL websites except MSI, grossly overestimate powersupply. MSI is the only one that gives realistic projections based on max Wattage of mobo components.
https://us.msi.com/power-supply-calculator

Solution
I would suggest going for a quality PSU. If you're using this is a NAS, you also need to factor in the multiple HDDs you will have, and most importantly the ones you will add in the future. Maybe opt for a good 300W Be Quiet! PSU (since you're looking for something silent).

(If you're planing having a big setup with ten to fifteen 12Tb IronWolf pros, you may want something like a CX450)
I would suggest going for a quality PSU. If you're using this is a NAS, you also need to factor in the multiple HDDs you will have, and most importantly the ones you will add in the future. Maybe opt for a good 300W Be Quiet! PSU (since you're looking for something silent).

(If you're planing having a big setup with ten to fifteen 12Tb IronWolf pros, you may want something like a CX450)

Solution