[SOLVED] PSU and CPU heating Up

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Hey guys i use to have very good temps with air cooling with my old pc case , but i don't know something 's gone wrong new one. My Psu is heating up, it never did in 3+ years. Here are my observed temps :
Room Temp: 25'C avg
Old Case: Idle 45-52'C Load 100% prime 95 [1hour] 77'C , Gaming 55-65'C
New Case: Idle 60-70'C Load 100% prime 95 [12 mins only] 80-93'C , Gaming 70-80'C
Please help me dig out a cause and a solution.
My Config : Seasonic s12ii 620W PSU, Ryzen 3700X , 32GB 3600 DDR4, and a GTX 970

Following changes i made recently before this "issue" :

1. Added extension cables -[Motherboard , PCIE and CPU] cheap ones from aliexpress for asthetics and easing cable management with new case .
Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000020299920.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKI24wb

2. I switched to Lian Li o11 Dynamic from a local brand pc case which i modded to add 11 fans, now i only have 9 fans installed. 3 top intake 3 bottom exhaust and 3 side intake. PSU was mounted in bottom with downward exhaust in older case. Lian Li has it on right side back.

3. Added a 90' degree 24 pin motherboard Adapter.
Linkr: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162463986.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKI24wb

Following things i suspect:

1. 24 pin mbd connector is running with 2 extensions -> mod connector -> 90' adapter and then -> extension cable connecting to->PSU Cable ->PSU. My PSU is non modular so it might not liking so many extensions. I have these extensions running fine without 90' adapter in old PC case. I added that adapter in new case.

2. My positioning of case on table could be bad.
I opened case from front with back, side and top closed, while running a heavy task and I observed side intake fans are pulling warm air inside , PSU Fans are running fast and air coming out from it is not leaving through back chamber of lian li and is being pulled back by side intake fans. I have a table with sides half covered from sides and pc is placed at right side, since psu is mounted in a way in back side with side exhaust, air has less space from back to move out, instead it's going back into the case.

I was planning to build a Custom Liquid cooling build but all components delivery went south
due to human mAlwAre :{
So i am stuck with air cooling , Please help if anyone knows or have similar experience. My PC has to survive 2 -3 months at least before all parts came in.

Here u can see how fans are setup:
Old Case Setup: Image_1 , Image_2 , Image_3
Lian Li Setup: Image_1 , Image_2

Regards.

Solution
Hey guys i use to have very good temps with air cooling with my old pc case , but i don't know something 's gone wrong new one. My Psu is heating up, it never did in 3+ years. Here are my observed temps :
New Case: Idle 60-70'C Load 100% prime 95 [12 mins only] 80-93'C , Gaming 70-80'C
My Config : Seasonic s12ii 620W PSU, Ryzen 3700X , 32GB 3600 DDR4, and a GTX 970

1. Added extension cables -[Motherboard , PCIE and CPU] cheap ones from aliexpress for asthetics and easing cable management with new case .
Link...

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000020299920.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKI24wb

2. I switched to Lian Li o11 Dynamic from a local brand pc case which i modded to add 11 fans, now i only have 9 fans installed. 3 top intake 3 bottom exhaust and 3 side intake. PSU was mounted in bottom with downward exhaust in older case. Lian Li has it on right side back.

3. Added a 90' degree 24 pin motherboard Adapter.
Linkr: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162463986.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dKI24wb

Following things i suspect:

1. 24 pin mbd connector is running with 2 extensions -> mod connector -> 90' adapter and then -> extension cable connecting to->PSU Cable ->PSU. My PSU is non modular so it might not liking so many extensions. I have these extensions running fine without 90' adapter in old PC case. I added that adapter in new case.

2. My positioning of case on table could be bad.
I opened case from front with back, side and top closed, while running a heavy task and I observed side intake fans are pulling warm air inside , PSU Fans are running fast and air coming out from it is not leaving through back chamber of lian li and is being pulled back by side intake fans. I have a table with sides half covered from sides and pc is placed at right side, since psu is mounted in a way in back side with side exhaust, air has less space from back to move out, instead it's going back into the case.

I was planning to build a Custom Liquid cooling build but all components delivery went south
due to human mAlwAre :{
So i am stuck with air cooling , Please help if anyone knows or have similar experience. My PC has to survive 2 -3 months at least before all parts came in.

Here u can see how fans are setup:
Old Case Setup: Image_1 , Image_2 , Image_3
Lian Li Setup: Image_1 , Image_2

Regards.

First off.... nice build. But why such a cheap PSU? Bottom of the line Seasonic with 10 year old technology. Did you not know better or just don't care?

And I would try it without all the extensions. Every added connection introduces resistance. Resistance will drop voltages and introduce more heat. And to add to that, you bought the cheapest, no-name extensions you can find from Ali Express. We don't know the gauge of the wire (smaller is cheaper, and causes more resistance) or the construction of the connector pins (some pins ARE better than others).

Honestly, the first thing I would do is throw that PSU and all the garbage cables out the window, buy a fully modular PSU that is at least 80 PLUS Gold and buy a custom cable kit MADE FOR THAT PSU. Not extensions, but PROPER cables.

You can get an EVGA G2, a Corsair RM or RMx, Seasonic Focus GX or Prime or beQuiet Straight Power 11.. all are fully modular and you can get custom cables from CableMod for all of those and in some case get custom cables made by the actual manufacturer.

Solution

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
First off.... nice build. But why such a cheap PSU? Bottom of the line Seasonic with 10 year old technology. Did you not know better or just don't care?

And I would try it without all the extensions. Every added connection introduces resistance. Resistance will drop voltages and introduce more heat. And to add to that, you bought the cheapest, no-name extensions you can find from Ali Express. We don't know the gauge of the wire (smaller is cheaper, and causes more resistance) or the construction of the connector pins (some pins ARE better than others).

Honestly, the first thing I would do is throw that PSU and all the garbage cables out the window, buy a fully modular PSU that is at least 80 PLUS Gold and buy a custom cable kit MADE FOR THAT PSU. Not extensions, but PROPER cables.

You can get an EVGA G2, a Corsair RM or RMx, Seasonic Focus GX or Prime or beQuiet Straight Power 11.. all are fully modular and you can get custom cables from CableMod for all of those and in some case get custom cables made by the actual manufacturer.

I mentioned wrong i guess

Hey man I bought that PSU around 5 or 6 years ago, i was on tight budget back then and i don't think its too bad of a psu even by 2020 standards, It never gave me any issues before and I'm keeping it till my next gpu upgrade and not discarding it anytime sooner.

I will try without extensions and adapters, i'let u know.

Hey man I bought that PSU around 5 or 6 years ago, i was on tight budget back then and i don't think its too bad of a psu even by 2020 standards, It never gave me any issues before and I'm keeping it till my next gpu upgrade and not discarding it anytime sooner.

Umm... No. The S12II is a bottom of the line PSU. It was decent 10 years ago. It was out of date when you got it. And it's way out of date in 2020. Period.

It's double forward with group regulation. It's an antique. The only reason Seasonic still sells them today is because they're cheap to build.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-group-regulated-units-like-the-m12ii-thanks/

You can choose not to believe me, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Umm... No. The S12II is a bottom of the line PSU. It was decent 10 years ago. It was out of date when you got it. And it's way out of date in 2020. Period.

It's double forward with group regulation. It's an antique. The only reason Seasonic still sells them today is because they're cheap to build.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-group-regulated-units-like-the-m12ii-thanks/

You can choose not to believe me, but I think I know what I'm talking about.
Okay i got your point it is old and possibly obselete by todays standards, i will consider changing it, let say i have budget of 150 USD what would you recommend ? Also i will be changing my gpu to a 3080 or something by end of 2020 so my power requirement will increase.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Heat rises so why are you trying to force warm air to go down?
I tried top exhaust with bottom and side intake before, heat from gpu warms the all the air coming inside the case and my stock blower style prism air cooler suck that air right in resulting in cpu cooling suffering.
I might try bottom and top both intake and side exhaust, might help with GPU temps.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
That's an option ,hope that will help. There are reviews about the case where they tackle this so might want to look for those, and maybe consider getting an aio liquid cooler.
I'm already in process of building a custom loop, but delivey of parts are stuck due to hUmAn mAlWarE :{
i mention this already, i will get all parts in about 2 months or so, till my pc has to survive.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014

Thanks i will be changing my PSU soon and i have discarded those crap cables and adapters. I will be buying Phantex Revolt Pro 850 Watt .

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I tried top exhaust with bottom and side intake before, heat from gpu warms the all the air coming inside the case and my stock blower style prism air cooler suck that air right in resulting in cpu cooling suffering.
I might try bottom and top both intake and side exhaust, might help with GPU temps.
i tried both top and bottom intake and side exhaust, temp on idle is improved, but on load increased by 5-7'C still 3-4'C better than side bottom intake and top exhaust.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
That's an option ,hope that will help. There are reviews about the case where they tackle this so might want to look for those, and maybe consider getting an aio liquid cooler.
i tried both top and bottom intake and side exhaust, temp on idle is improved, but on load increased by 5-7'C still 3-4'C better than side bottom intake and top exhaust.