Question PSU and GPU compatibility

Oct 31, 2021
I have an older PSU, a 900w made by a now defunct company by the name rocketfish, and the plug standard on it is the older EPS/ATX standard.

Some of the older techs will definitely know what I'm talking about, but simply put this PSU has 4 dedicated "PCIe" power plugs, two 6 pin and two 8 pin, but they follow the old EPS factor as I said.

My question is this, can I use these ports to power the 1080ti I recently received or are they strictly incompatible, because I can find the cables to make it work or even re-pin a plug if needed, yes I'm aware the ground orientation is swapped compared to a modern VGA plug.

I only ask because I'd like to continue to use this PSU, I regularly check the health of the rails and considering it's always been overkill for my rig, that coupled with sitting on a shelf for a good 5 years out of the last 10 or so it's still got plenty of life left. That being said I have already considered upgrading to a newer PSU, just seeing if I can get the card in before said upgrade.

I apologize if something similar has been asked before, tried searching and nothing came up, if there is a similar post please link it to me.

This will give you an idea about how junk it is.

Keep a fire extinguisher close if you use it.

Oct 31, 2021
dotas1 said:
This will give you an idea about how junk it is.

Keep a fire extinguisher close if you use it.

The question was not about the quality of the PSU, besides the fact that I'm not even using the model from the thread you shared, the question was if a 1080ti can safely be powered by the older plug standard used on pre-VGA power supplies.

Last edited:
My question is this, can I use these ports to power the 1080ti I recently received or are they strictly incompatible, because I can find the cables to make it work or even re-pin a plug if needed, yes I'm aware the ground orientation is swapped compared to a modern VGA plug.

the question was if a 1080ti can safely be powered by the older plug standard used on pre-VGA power supplies.

No guarantees though. Doesn't necessarily mean if you can plug it in doesn't mean you should.

made by a now defunct company by the name rocketfish,
Which makes it even double the risk. There's no support to call too. You're on your own!

Only actual testing throughout time will reveal if it can really be done, but that's also biting the bullet. Nobody can forecast if an old PSU can safely power your gpu.
But my 2 cents would be, don't try it at home. Why tempt fate of a GPU for an old PSU especially when GPU prices are high?

I only ask because I'd like to continue to use this PSU, I regularly check the health of the rails and considering it's always been overkill for my rig, that coupled with sitting on a shelf for a good 5 years out of the last 10 or so it's still got plenty of life left.
Components inside the PSU degrade over time. Its not just the rails that you should be concerned about.

Last edited:
The question was not about the quality of the PSU, besides the fact that I'm not even using the model from the thread you shared, the question was if a 1080ti can safely be powered by the older plug standard used on pre-VGA power supplies.
You can vote down my answer as much as you want , it won't change the quality of your PSU.

By the way, IF you took the time to read the thread, it does mention your PSU but since you want me to be more specific, I can tell you that even if it was the BEST OF THE BEST when it was made, it has degraded so much that it can NOT safely power a 1080ti which is a power hungry GPU. It never could.

In the end, it's your hardware and your money. Risk as much as you want. You have been warned.

EDIT: Again @detestedcross , voting down will not change anything. I am sorry that you got an answer you didn't want to hear but I am not here to do that. I WAS trying to keep you from making a mistake that could not just cost you money but also put you in a hazardous situation.. I am done helping you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: avg9956