Honorable
May 16, 2013
cpu: i7-4770k
mobo: asus z87-a
gpu: gtx 670 ftw
psu: corsair hx850
ssd: samsung 128
monitor: benq xl2420te

hi! i dont know if i am in the right section but the story is...

my gpu is having a coil whine, the gpu is a year old now, for me, i can tolerate the noise of the coil whine,the coil whine occurs when my fps goes above 60 fps while playing,, but just a month ago, the display starts flickering randomly when im in game or just in idle, well it flicks just for .01 sec.. i thought its just the cable but when i hooked my dvi cable to the mobo, it doesnt flick at all,so its not the cable, the next thing that i did was test the monitor, i used my ps3 to test it, and it doesnt flick at all, so its not the monitor,. i said to evga about this and i was approved to rma it, so i did. After i received the package, and install it on my pc, my display still flicker and the coil whine is still there. so i contacted evga again about this and they told me this, " You will want to see if the PSU is providing consistent power with the card installed. Turn on your computer, Go into your BIOS and look for the +12v reading, this is typically under 'PC Health Status', System Monitor, Hardware Monitor'. A healthy reading (official ATX spec) is between 11.4 - 12.6v, and stable. No fluctuations." so i did, but i just found in monitors is something like, 3v, 5v, 12v, so i dont know what im talking about now, and i dont know how to check the status correctly,

sorry for bad english =) but i hope you guys understand my problem, i can provide more info if needed,

mombitz

Honorable
May 16, 2013
thanks for the reply :)

so i looked up on my bios, im advance mode->monitor, the reading on 3v is 3.328, 5v is 5.040-5.080, 12v is 12.096-12.000, so im guessing im in the good range right?

o btw, my cpu is oc'd, 4.6 ghz in 12.7v, i try to bring down the voltage last night to 12.6 and since then, i havent experienced any flickers at all, well, not yet,,. but the coil whine is still there,.

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi -
You may want to collect some info about the voltage while your PC is running under load. Try HWMonitor, which is available at http://cpuid.com/.

The basic version is available at no cost, it's been around forever, and is a reputable utility. It will track you voltages over time and tell you the max, min, and current.

Might give you some additional info as compared to looking at your BIOS when the PC is not under load.

Hope this help,
GorfTheFrog

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
when you overclocked did you use ibt or prime 95 to check if your system was stable? if not your system may have been unstable and if you did use it most likely it is putting a stress on your psu it cant handle when under full load....how old is the psu and see if the coil whine is from the gpu or the psu.