[SOLVED] PSU And GPU Really Loud

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
Hello everyone as stated above my psu and gpu is very loud first im gonna state the specs of my pc below

cpu ryzen 5 2600
ram 4 + 4gb sticka
mobo ga-ax370-gaming 3
gpu asus rog strix 1080
psu corsair cx750m semi modular

The problem isint to noticeable at idle but if I start to play games such as far cry or skyrim or anything slightly demanding my graphics card starts to ramp up and ive had to set a custom fan profile on msi after burner witch ill leave a screen shot of down below. As for the power supply its kind of an odd story because when i originally buildt my pc i had XFX XT 500 W psu i shall also link below but at the time i had that psu i had a gtx 1060 but when i got my 1080 i had to upgrade to the corsair psu i was told that the xfx power supply wouldent be able to handle the 1080 witch it could as i later found out. And its a lot quieter at idle or playing not so demanding games like hearts of iron witch i play alot of but same as the corsair one i cant play demanding games without my room sounding like a hover

Im gonna post a video of me playing so you can understand for yourself you should watch it before reading the next bit im also gonna post the picture of my fan curve as well

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYqTH8oEBE&feature=youtu.be

View: https://imgur.com/VFE3MzD

Something else I think I should mention is that I had to switch back to the xfx power supply because the noise of the other one was just so unbearable this ones the same but its just not half as bad while at idle or in games like hoi4.
Im not really sure what I could do to fix this I mean I know that ill probilly need to get a new power supply but im not really sure what one to get I just don't want one that's to dear thougth so if you have any suggestions would you please advise.
The thing with the graphics card is that its just loud constantly the second the fans turn on the thing im not sure is is wheather this is something that happens on all 1080 or just on this particular model im not sure but its just so unbearable
I think I should just mention here that its not anything else making the noise I know that it is the gpu and the psu as ive put my ear up to them and heard them both making the noise.
If anyone needs anymore info just ask and id be more than happy to provide it

Here the link for the psu Im having to use now
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bTnG3C/xfx-power-supply-p1500bxtfr

Solution
Your top fans should be exhaust, not intake. Turn those two fans around as exhaust fans blowing out of the case, in addition to the one at the rear that is already oriented as an exhaust, and you should see a very noticeable change in cooling performance. Probably in the 8-15°C range.

All power supplies "face back" because they all mount to the back of the case, but that is the small vent. There is a larger vent, for intake on the PSU, and we need to know whether that is facing down (And IF it is facing down, whether there is a vent in the bottom of your case to provide airflow to that intake on the PSU, or whether it is facing INTO the case, and if it is we still need to know if there is an intake vent in the bottom of the case...
The Corsair unit has a very aggressive fan profile most likely. Really, that shouldn't matter since it is several hundred watts above the required capacity for your graphics card. The XFX unit is underpowered for your graphics card, so you are riding the edge of it's capacity most likely which might be why it is exhibiting loud fan behavior.

What case do you have?

How many case fans do you have?

What direction is EVERY SINGLE case fan you have, blowing, in or out, for EACH location?

Which direction, into the case or out of the case, is the main (Large) opening on the PSU facing? Up or down?

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
Hey thanks for you reply my case is the cit raider and I have 6 fans in total 3 intakes at the front 2 intakes at the top witch are used for my aio and one blowing out at the back.
The power supply is facing back as theres a vent in the case for it there

Your top fans should be exhaust, not intake. Turn those two fans around as exhaust fans blowing out of the case, in addition to the one at the rear that is already oriented as an exhaust, and you should see a very noticeable change in cooling performance. Probably in the 8-15°C range.

All power supplies "face back" because they all mount to the back of the case, but that is the small vent. There is a larger vent, for intake on the PSU, and we need to know whether that is facing down (And IF it is facing down, whether there is a vent in the bottom of your case to provide airflow to that intake on the PSU, or whether it is facing INTO the case, and if it is we still need to know if there is an intake vent in the bottom of the case beneath the PSU because IF there is, that is where the intake on the PSU should be facing. The vent at the back of the PSU is the exhaust, where hot air EXITS the power supply.

Solution
Ok, so if there is a vent at the bottom of the case for the power supply, make sure that the intake vent on the PSU is facing towards it, rather than into the case. You don't want the PSU to intake hot internal case air to try and cool itself with if it doesn't have to be. Some cases don't have vents down there, mostly older ones, but for those that do you typically want it configured so that that is where the PSU is getting it's intake from. That air will be much cooler than the air inside the case.

As far as the other fans are concerned, if your case supports a front mounted radiator, it might be a good idea to move your radiator from the top of your case to the front, with it's fans as intake. This way you get much cooler air through the radiator and the change in delta on a front mounted radiator, as far as how it affects the internal case temperature, is not tremendously different. In other words, front mounted radiators don't make it "really hot" inside the case. There MAY be a 2-4°C difference in internal case temperature, maybe, but with sufficient exhaust consisting of at least a rear and top rear exhaust fan, it will not be noticeable and may not even happen. Especially if you have additional top exhaust fans as well.

Also, the AIO temps will be lower because you will be using cooler air through the radiator than when it is top mounted. But if you cannot move it to the front because it is not supported there, then at least switch the AIO fans on the radiator around so that they are blowing out of the case whether through the radiator in a push configuration or above the radiator in a pull configuration. Push is probably preferable for this type of configuration.

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
The power supply is facing down towards the vent so its 100 percente getting cold air. And unfortinatly I cant mount my aio at the front of the case as the case I have dosent support front mounted aios.
The thing is that i know ill have to get a power supply as i cant continue to use the current one im using so i was hoping that by posting this i might get some suggestions.
I had a look on amazon and found this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-RM...words=power+supply&qid=1580281221&sr=8-7&th=1

Suggestions here:

Sensible capacity requirements, here:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
Could I ask whats the difference between the rm and the rmx corsair power supplys. And I don't think the seasonic one would be any good as its white and I don't think it would really fit into my all black build

The RM has no option to deactivate passive mode like the RMx.

The RM has a Hong Hua fan instead of a very good Corsair designed NR135L fan. Yes, the fan model makes a difference. Especially if you don't want to be replacing the whole unit in two to three years when the fan dies.

The RMx has better capacitors, which means the unit will almost certainly perform better and last significantly longer.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187.html

But again, the RM is very decent, it's just not AS good as the RMx which is only a few bucks more.

Either unit will work well and both are pretty quiet.