[SOLVED] PSU and GPU replacement didn't helped my black screens

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Hello,
Few months ago i was using my pc when it suddenly got a black screen .
I immediately thought that the GPU died since i was using it for a good amount of time .
I temporarily used some old pcie GPU that i had laying around a really simple GPU that doesn't require any power from the PSU .
It worked well but couldn't play any games since it's not ment for gaming .
Meanwhile i have ordered a new GPU and when it arrived i have installed it and got the same black screen problems . { The GPU i got is 2nd hand but pretty sure it's ok. } .
So mabey It's a PSU problem ? I went and bought a brand new PSU same result :
PC is turning on after windows loading symbol before account login black screen . { I guess it has to do something with the driver, but since both GPU gave the same result mabey the Driver is not the problem but something that has to do with the driver } .

Graphic cards : Sapphire r9 270x { First GPU } , GT 610 { The simple GPU that was laying around }, Sapphire HD 7950 { 'New' GPU }
New PSU : Corsair CV650

Thanks in advanced, Afik .

Solution
It's either the gpu or the monitor itself. Initial install is 480p (vga) but doesn't switch to 1080p until the drivers are loaded. If there's a chip issue in the monitor that's deteriorated enough it might handle the requirements of vga but balk at the additional resources 1080p demands.

Could also be just that particular gpu port, some ppl have cards that just won't work on one port.

My Asus display runs DP to the pc. My wife plugged in the laptop to Hdmi, but on changing inputs got a black screen. DP worked fine. I unplugged the DP, plugged the hdmi in, then DP back in and alls good. Very wierd the way the 'handshake' process worked out there.

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
list all others parts in system and every time you switch did you remove old driver for them .
I have removed old driver each time with DDU .

Parts :
PSU : Corsair CV650
GPU : R9 270X / HD 7950 / GT 610
Memory : 2x4 G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
Motherboard : Intel DH67BL
CPU : i3 3220

it could be your board or the cpu so if you have any to test both .
I do agree for motherboard or PCIe slot but CPU? Since the igpu works and generally the system is fine without the discrete, why is the CPU a possible issue?

Also the "new" gpu is old enough to have issues either way. I do not trust second hand GPUs easily, unless I know the person who sells them. GPU can be faulty.

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Are you using two different power PCI-e cables for the GPU?

Im a little sus of that CV650

I am not sure as if it counts as two different cables, It's one cable that goes out of the PSU and has 2 x 8 pins . It's the only configuration available .
Since i've tried two different PSU's and everything used to work well before it failed with the other PSU which was garbage ( Zumax something 550w ) i'm pretty sure it's not a PSU problem .

Try a different port on the monitor.

I've tried different GPU ports and different monitor port, even tried a different monitor . No luck :(

it could be your board or the cpu so if you have any to test both .

I've tried nearly anything but replacing mobo or cpu . I was also thinking about some kind of a motherboard failure after replacing PSU and GPU gave the exact same result .
So i've managed to squeeze a few bucks and ordered a brand new motherboard and cpu i3 10th gen and budget gigabyte h410 motherboard .
I really hope for this to work since i've replaced the whole pc^^ It's only SSD and the chasis that left from the original setup since i had to also buy new ddr 4 ram since the older memory was ddr 3 .

I will post an update once the parts will arrive and if the update will be positive ( Knocking wood ) that means that the problem was most likely the motherboard but still a chance for it to be the CPU .

Thanks, Afik .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair hierarchy :

VS, CV, CXM, CX, RM, TXM, RMx, RMi......

Pretty much the CV is a 80+Bronze rated VS. And the CXM isn't that much better. It's not until you get CX or better that you get into LLC and double forward designs.

That said, the brand new CV650 is double forward and DC to DC for the minor rails, unlike any other CV or VS. It's basically a CX650 without the LLC instead of a VS with 80+Bronze.

So that singular unit isn't too shabby.

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Ok, new Motherboard, new CPU, new Memory, new PSU, Basically a new PC with the same GPU .
Motherboard : Gigabyte H410M S2H
CPU : i3 10100F
Memory: DDR 4 8G/3000 Aegis Black G.Skill Bulk

I have setup everything together and installed clean windows 10. Got into the desktop succesfully. and installed graphics driver . in the middle of the driver installation black screen apeared and never went away, now whenever my PC boot up it goes to black screen right after windows loading icon just like before .

So i think it is safe to say that the GPU is dead. Unless anyone have an idea of anything i can try to make it work .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's either the gpu or the monitor itself. Initial install is 480p (vga) but doesn't switch to 1080p until the drivers are loaded. If there's a chip issue in the monitor that's deteriorated enough it might handle the requirements of vga but balk at the additional resources 1080p demands.

Could also be just that particular gpu port, some ppl have cards that just won't work on one port.

My Asus display runs DP to the pc. My wife plugged in the laptop to Hdmi, but on changing inputs got a black screen. DP worked fine. I unplugged the DP, plugged the hdmi in, then DP back in and alls good. Very wierd the way the 'handshake' process worked out there.

Solution

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016

Unfortunately, all of the graphics card ports gave the same result .
The thing that "kills" me is what are the chances for this problem to happend on two different cards .
Even that the other card is 2nd hand it just drives me crazy . I'll have to buy another GPU now...

I really hoped to come with a solution that might help others having the same problem But it seems that my situation is uncommon because i relied on a card that stopped working and a 2nd hand card.

Thanks for all the help here, much appreciated!