[SOLVED] PSU and ram for budget 1600x build

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Building a budget system for someone and looking for reccomendations for PSU and ram to suit. My original plan was to pick up some Corsair LPX 3000 but I've read that people have struggled with ram outside of the QPL lists on 1000 series ryzens. As for the PSU I'm looking for something that will allow headroom for a little moderate overclocking on the GPU while supporting the rest of the system. I originally had a cx550 in mind however they seem to be out of stock or at a much higher price everywhere i look (UK). This is what I have so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Ram: Corsair LPX 3000 cl15 16gb (2x8gb)

Storage: Western Digital Green 120 GB
M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Storage: 1 TB Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card

Case: AVP Opius Mid Tower

Case Fan: 4 X 120mm RGB Case Fans

Any advice is really appreciated, cheers.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you have a specific budget or price range? For RAM I would definitely stick with 3600 speed as you'll get the best bang for your buck. 3400 is even more expensive and 3200 might only save you $10 or so on the low end (assuming 2x 8GB). Of course, if you're talking cheap as dirt, going down to the lowest speed tiers can mean a difference of $40 or so.

As for a PSU, you should be able to get away with anything over 550. I like the Corsair CX series. They aren't too expensive and they get pretty decent ratings. So either the CX 550 or the CX 650 would be my suggestion.

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Do you have a specific budget or price range? For RAM I would definitely stick with 3600 speed as you'll get the best bang for your buck. 3400 is even more expensive and 3200 might only save you $10 or so on the low end (assuming 2x 8GB). Of course, if you're talking cheap as dirt, going down to the lowest speed tiers can mean a difference of $40 or so.

As for a PSU, you should be able to get away with anything over 550. I like the Corsair CX series. They aren't too expensive and they get pretty decent ratings. So either the CX 550 or the CX 650 would be my suggestion.

Solution

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020

As for a PSU, you should be able to get away with anything over 550. I like the Corsair CX series. They aren't too expensive and they get pretty decent ratings. I have a CX 750 and I like it a lot. So either the CX 550 or the CX 650 would be my suggestion.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Cheers for the reply, can find the cx550 at £54 so I think I'll go with that unless there's any other competitive options around that price, thanks for the reccomendation. As for the ram, there is no 3600 MHz ram on the QPL list for the summit ridge CPUs, or should I not be worrying too much about this list? If I can go with 3600 ram what would you reccomend? A quick google found me these Patriot Viper modules at a price in my budget of <£70 but do you think they would be compatible?
Thanks again

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Definitely compatible. You should be fine with anything you choose as long as it's DDR4 and you don't go over 3600 for speed and it's the standard 288-pin form factor.

That particular item you linked to though, the description says both 3600 and 3200. Must be a typo but you should make sure it isn't actually 3200. That's a better deal than my GSkill Trident RAM I recently bought.

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Ah great glad to hear they will work. Also good spot on that 3200 in the description. Weird that it says 3600 everywhere else including technical specs and also through googling the part number. Might just check through the support system tomorrow. But if they are 3600 I should go for them do you think?
Definitely compatible. You should be fine with anything you choose as long as it's DDR4 and you don't go over 3600 for speed and it's the standard 288-pin form factor.

That particular item you linked to though, the description says both 3600 and 3200. Must be a typo but you should make sure it isn't actually 3200. That's a better deal than my GSkill Trident RAM I recently bought.