Question PSU and UPS questions. Should i get an extra UPS?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone! Just received the parts for my new build and after spending all my gaming saving on this, i am worrying a lot. I did my research but after reviewing again all the parts, insecurities kicked in. I hope you guys can help me make sure everything right before putting everything together. Here is the build, i will do a lot of hardcore gaming, start streaming and i also do 3d modeling with some video editing too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WVHnNc

1) I know the PSU is capable of taking this build at full power but please confirm i wont have any issues with it.

2) My main concern, the UPS. I know you should take in consideration the 1500VA rating over the load of 900 W but it worries me a lot that it wont be enough if I am streaming while gaming and doing several things. There will be at least one monitor connected to it and the internet fiber modem.
-Wil the UPS have any issues handling the PC at full power (peripherals included mic etc), the modem and a the monitor?
-Will it have any issues with an extra monitor?
-How to calculate all these things?

Thanks and if aside of answering my worries i can get some education out of it ill appreciate it.

1) looks ok, but would you really need 2x 980 pros? for gaming drive you can go with 2TB sata, games doesnt need nvme (yet)

2) Watt or VA wont tell you how long it will run
Watt is representation of power consumtion under load
VA is watts / power factor, for modern PC power factor is 0.9
so 900watts / 0.9 = 1000VA minimum
but that just for power load, not for how long it will run

900watt should be enough

cpu 105watt
gpu 525watt
ram maybe 50watt
mainboard 15watt
two nvme 980 pro 18watts
monitor 50watts
maybe another few 50watts for usb devices/rgb/few fans
thats around 800watt (90% efficiency)

so 890watt UPS should do at minimum

wattage you have correct, now you need to figure out battery pack to know how long it will run at this power load
id expect spending like 2.5k USD for 1 hr uptime full load

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
1) looks ok, but would you really need 2x 980 pros? for gaming drive you can go with 2TB sata, games doesnt need nvme (yet)

2) Watt or VA wont tell you how long it will run
Watt is representation of power consumtion under load
VA is watts / power factor, for modern PC power factor is 0.9
so 900watts / 0.9 = 1000VA minimum
but that just for power load, not for how long it will run

900watt should be enough

cpu 105watt
gpu 525watt
ram maybe 50watt
mainboard 15watt
two nvme 980 pro 18watts
monitor 50watts
maybe another few 50watts for usb devices/rgb/few fans
thats around 800watt (90% efficiency)

so 890watt UPS should do at minimum

wattage you have correct, now you need to figure out battery pack to know how long it will run at this power load
id expect spending like 2.5k USD for 1 hr uptime full load

Thanks for the detailed answer. I really dont mind duration since i just want to protect the PC from the bad bad power service we have around here and if i can save what i am doing and shut it down great.

My main worry is the system turning off or providing insufficient power to the PC during hardcore usage and peak performance.
  1. So, in short i shouldn't worry/have issues about having a 3090 ti and all these streaming peripherals connected to the PC while having a monitor and modem connected to the UPS?
  2. I will 100% ok or should i get another UPS for the monitor and the modem just in case?
  3. An extra monitor will harm this stability?

Thanks for the detailed answer. I really dont mind duration since i just want to protect the PC from the bad bad power service we have around here and if i can save what i am doing and shut it down great.

My main worry is the system turning off or providing insufficient power to the PC during hardcore usage and peak performance.
  1. So, in short i shouldn't worry/have issues about having a 3090 ti and all these streaming peripherals connected to the PC while having a monitor and modem connected to the UPS?
  2. I will 100% ok or should i get another UPS for the monitor and the modem just in case?
  3. An extra monitor will harm this stability?
your monitor shouldnt draw more than 50watts
modems are like 12watts max?
but if you loose power, modem will not work...you know right? power outage outside xD for for home network with backup 5G internet ok

what streaming peripherals? some lights, sound amps?
each device connected draws some power
i did some hardware wattage summary, just add to it something power hungry and youll know how much you need
and yes you can have two separate UPS (not daisy chained together)

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
your monitor shouldnt draw more than 50watts
modems are like 12watts max?
but if you loose power, modem will not work...you know right? power outage outside xD for for home network with backup 5G internet ok

what streaming peripherals? some lights, sound amps?
each device connected draws some power
i did some hardware wattage summary, just add to it something power hungry and youll know how much you need
and yes you can have two separate UPS (not daisy chained together)

Internet does work, is a fiber connection based on cable infrastructure. Never had a problem in the past with it.

Anyway lets do a summary and what really worries me before running to get another UPS. That PC (with keyboard, the mic and a mouse), that monitor monitor and a modem should not have any issues in peak usage?