sandeepdouglas33

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Hi guys

I have 3 Questions and these are based on PSU and UPS.

UPS details: APC
Input: 230V ~2.8 A, 50Hz, 10 ( slashed Zero)
Output: 230V ~ 2.6A, 50Hz, 600VA 360W

PSU: CORSAIR CX450 Grey Model

My questions: 1. As you might notice that the UPS is of 360 watt so is this gonna bottleneck the Corsair CX450 psu? So what will happen if I do that ? I mean the Psu would be able to draw the specified power 460watt?

Question: 2. I have Corsair Spec 01 Cabinet, So I am gonna install my psu there, so what should be direction of Fan? Fan on Top or Bottom? Xc450 has "Rifle Bearing fan", so considering that what way to install that psu for the lifespan of fan?

Thank you very much guys 🙏

Solution
Q1 answer:
In normal usage (electric power from the wall is available), everything will run fine -there's no "bottleneck" no matter what PSU you use.
Explanation: there's a switch/relay inside UPS. And if power from the wall is available, it will go directly to your PSU (as there's no UPS inbetween). Depending on circuit inside UPS, you can probably run even higher than 450W PC load (PSU is your limit). However, at certain load (say, 600W for example), protection circuit inside UPS will turn power off (even power from the wall is available) -to prevent UPS overload.
More important is, what happens if you het power cut from the wall. UPS will immediately switch, and now all power that your PC uses, will be drawn from battery...
Q1 answer:
In normal usage (electric power from the wall is available), everything will run fine -there's no "bottleneck" no matter what PSU you use.
Explanation: there's a switch/relay inside UPS. And if power from the wall is available, it will go directly to your PSU (as there's no UPS inbetween). Depending on circuit inside UPS, you can probably run even higher than 450W PC load (PSU is your limit). However, at certain load (say, 600W for example), protection circuit inside UPS will turn power off (even power from the wall is available) -to prevent UPS overload.
More important is, what happens if you het power cut from the wall. UPS will immediately switch, and now all power that your PC uses, will be drawn from battery. Wattage of your PSU isn't that important in this regard. What matters is, how much power your PC (+monitor, if it's attached to UPS) is drawing from UPS at that moment.
That is, PC will keep running, but for how long? Keep in mind, inside (your) UPS, there's one 12V 7Ah battery, which can (theoretically) deliver 84W for about an hour... or 168W for 30 minutes.. or 336W for 15 minutes, etc.
In praxis, these values aren't that good. That is, you will need to save your work and turn off your PC within few minutes (depending on PC load) -if you don't do that, UPS will switch off (and you might loose valuable data).

Q2 answer:
In general, PSU fan should suck fresh air (not from inside the cabinet).

Edited: PSU replaced with UPS (in bold)

Last edited:
Reactions: sandeepdouglas33
Solution

sandeepdouglas33

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Q1 answer:
More important is, what happens if you het power cut from the wall. PSU will immediately switch, and now all power that your PC uses, will be drawn from battery. Wattage of your PSU isn't that important in this regard. What matters is, how much power your PC (+monitor, if it's attached to UPS) is drawing from UPS at that moment.
That is, PC will keep running, but for how long? Keep in mind, inside (your) PSU, there's one 12V 7Ah battery, which can (theoretically) deliver 84W for about an hour... or 168W for 30 minutes.. or 336W for 15 minutes, etc.
In praxis, these values aren't that good. That is, you will need to save your work and turn off your PC within few minutes (depending on PC load) -if you don't do that, PSU will switch off (and you might loose valuable data).

Q2 answer:
In general, PSU fan should suck fresh air (not from inside the cabinet).
Thank you very much. This is very much detailed. I liked it. You cleared all my confusion. Thanks

My questions: 1. As you might notice that the UPS is of 360 watt so is this gonna bottleneck the Corsair CX450 psu?

A couple things...

A UPS is only "active" when the mains are down. Even if you had a 1200W load, a 300W UPS wouldn't care until the power went out.

On a related note... the 360W PSU wouldn't care if you were using a 450W PSU unless you were using 360W+ of power on battery back up mode because PSUs only deliver as much power as demanded of them, whether they're rated at 300W or 3000W.

Reactions: sandeepdouglas33

sandeepdouglas33

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
A couple things...

A UPS is only "active" when the mains are down. Even if you had a 1200W load, a 300W UPS wouldn't care until the power went out.

On a related note... the 360W PSU wouldn't care if you were using a 450W PSU unless you were using 360W+ of power on battery back up mode because PSUs only deliver as much power as demanded of them, whether they're rated at 300W or 3000W.
Thank you so much Sir for the prompt reply. I got the answer. Thanks