PSU at it's limit

Eugene_31

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
so i've gotten myself an r9 290x and now my PSU seems to not like it too much, as my motherboard yells "power surge". Basically, playing 1 specific scene in the witcher 3 caused my surge protection to trigger all the time, the only thing to stop it was setting the GPU power via AMD wattman to 50% (didn't test any other power settings). is there any way to go around this problem without sacrificing fps until i can get a better PSU or fix this one? and if i can fix it, what do i fix? maybe i screwed cabling up somehow?

specs:
i7-6700k at stock 4ghz
ASUS b150-PRO with 3016 bios
MSI r9 290x
16g single ddr4 stick
intel p600 m.2 ssd
WD green 1tb 7.4kRPM hdd
PSU: chieftec rated 650w (bought in october 2011)

also, while i've had an r9 270 (meaning 7 hours ago) i had zero hardware problems, also never seen ANY issues with the PSU. and my system is now rated up to 587w of power, so that's what makes me think the PSU is failing to keep up

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Sorry, the answer is the same whether you have $0 or $1,000,000,000. There's no fixing it. You survived a junk PSU for years without any obvious damage (damage can be subtle and long-term, not just explosive and fiery). Consider yourself ahead of the game.

Your other solution is to game on the integrated GPU until you have a PSU worth its weight.

Nobody is mocking you, you just need to come to the understanding of the reality that your PSU is not capable of handling the load of the 290X.

First you say you have no money, then you ask to advocate on a specific brand. So better question is how much money would you be willing to put into a new PSU, and if there isnt enough you have to follow the advise given above.

There is a third option which is disable Asus Anti-surge in the BIOS. This may put other hardware at risk if the voltage regulation is bad enough but it's an option .

Eugene_31

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Solved it by myself. It wasn't the psu, it was a faulty power extension dongle. And I also made a mistake, it's not 650w, it's 750w. Maybe it's not from a well recognized brand, but it still works like a swiss clock

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Unless you have specialized equipment like a load tester, you have no idea if this is true.