PSU became very loud

Aug 10, 2018
Hello, i have an issue with
1000W Cooler Master "Silent Pro M"
RS-A00-AMBA-J3 . Eventually it became very loud, even louder than video card. I've cleaned psu from dust and oiled cooler but it didn't help. Still loud as jet plane. Also i didn't saw any deformed capacitors. The psu was bought 30 April 2012 and the cooler has time stamp 30 September 2011. So is it dead cooler or dying psu?
UPD.
I don't see any issues with system performance under load.
Also, i found in specification that speed of cooler depend on power consumption. And up 50% of load it has to work at 1000 RPM. But even without video card it works with max rpm from the beginning as soon as it gets power from wall.

Is it loud because of the fan on the power supply?

If it is loud because of the fan on the power supply, is it because the fan is spinning faster all the time or is it an abnormal loudness, like there is a problem with the fan bearing?

Really sounds to me, from the little bit you provided, like the PSU fan is working at maximum speeds which could be due to a variety of factors, all of which probably indicate the need for a new power supply.

Is your power supply installed so that the air intake on the power supply is being drawn in from the bottom of the case, or from inside the case? In other words, not counting the grill on the back where it mounts to the case, but is the grill opening facing up or down?

Coil whine is not "loud as a jet plane". That indicates a fan running full speed. Or several of them. Or a bad bearing. Not coil whine. The warranty on that unit is only five years, so whether it was 2011 or 2012, unless you purchased it later than that it is not under warranty. It would have expired last year. And that's only if you had the receipt.

It could be exaggeration but I would like to think of the worst... He said even louder than GPU, I doubt GPU is behaving similar to jet plane.... Anyway, if it is only fan, agree to darkbreeze.

@ OP

Does this happen under load or starting from booting?

Aug 10, 2018
well, the noise is from cooler, not from coil.
It starts spinning at max rpm from the beginning. as soon as i press ON button.
Psu gets enough air from the outside of case through hole at the bottom.
As i mentioned in the description's update, rpm should depends on load level, and it is strange, that fan controller thinks that system works on more than 50% of power from the start.

Just found out that my MB has diagnostic plates on it, will check it later.

Are you saying that it is the CPU cooler that is making the noise OR that it is the fan inside the power supply that is making the noise?

Your statements seem to be confusing regarding WHERE EXACTLY the noise is coming from.

The speed of the CPU cooler has nothing to do with power consumption. It has everything to do with how hot the CPU is getting. So IF the CPU cooler is the source of the noise then either the system is getting hot, or you have the CPU cooler fan profile set to it's maximum setting OR there is a problem with the fan controller.

If the problem is inside the power supply, and the noise is coming from the fan on the power supply, then there is a problem with the PSU generating more heat than it used to which means something is wrong inside or something in the system is drawing more power than normal.

Knowing how to help would be a lot easier if we actually knew WHERE the noise was coming from.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Most power supply’s fan controller are only dependant on temperature, not load.
A higher load should give off more heat, therefore the fan will spin faster.

If your fan is always spinning fast, it’s either the fan controller dying, or something else causing high temperatures.

Aug 10, 2018
can't login to the forum on my desctop, because of "something went wrong", so only short messages.

Data context object is power supply unit.
The source of noise is a fan inside PSU. It as a fact.
Both psu and fan were cleaned from dust. Fan also was oiled.

The noise from fan is because it running on max rpm from the moment of booting, even before POST.
According official documentation by cooler master - if system consume less than 50% of power limit, the fan should run at less than 1000 rpm.

The whole system drain 126 watt from the wall while idle.

Basically i could just replace the fan, although it has stupid 135mm form factor.

But the noise is a only symptom.
And what is a reason?
Why fan controller think that power supply work on it's limit?
Bad temperature sensor, bad controler or the worst - bad circuit elements?
IDK.

Actually, you have no way of knowing if there is something overheating inside the psu or not unless you've taken an infrared measurement at all the potential failure points in there. And, the problem may NOT even be inside the PSU. If there is a component with an issue that is drawing more power than normal, that could kick in the fan immediately as the PSU is capable of supplying so much capacity that it may not be tripping protections.

I would try a basic stripped down configuration to see if you can eliminate an external source first. Disconnect all drives from the motherboard (NOT from the device. You want to eliminate bad cables too.), if you have a graphics card AND integrated graphics, remove the graphics card and use the integrated graphics temporarily. Disconnect any fan hubs or controllers, all case fans, any other add in cards but leave the CPU cooler fan connected for now as we don't want to cause any damage. Remove all the RAM except a single module.

Power on and see if it is the same. If it is, you can reconnect all your hardware, with the power off of course.

At that point the problem would most likely either be internal to the power supply or the motherboard itself, if the problem wasn't something else.

I would try a different power supply if possible and if IT does the same thing, then clearly it's not a power supply issue. If it does not, then I'd replace the power supply. Your unit is definitely already past the point where you could be confident that there were no capacitor or other aging concerns inside the unit.