PSU blew need newone what should i get

syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Well i made a post couple of weeks ago where i thought that my 450 xclio wasnt enough since it made high piched noise. The wattage was enough but the psu was low quality so im in search for an new one.

Price range $50 to a $100

Specs
P4HT 3.0ghz prescott
Intel 915gro
4 sticks of 3200 ram 2x512, 2x256
1 x800xl pci-e
1 hdd
1 dvd combo drive
1 cd rom
1 media card reader
1 sound card will be put in since onboard soundcard got messed up as well it makes realy highpiched annoying sound, same as the PSU did
tested diferent speakers same problem.

ive been looking around and here is what i got so far

Antec

enermax

or maybe this but is it worth the extra money
corsair

these are just few that i came across but i am looking for something that is very high quiality that will last for years under somewhat heavy usage

In advance I appreciate the effort greatly
and thanks again.

just came across this one as well
seasonic s12
but someone said that they are shiped without a pci-e connector as in being the old versoin?

mushkin this one also has 20 mail in rebate and 40 amps on the 12v rail so far i like thisone the best..... what are your suggestions?

I would go with this FSP unit:

FSP 500w

It's rated highly, has more watts than the antec and is cheaper than the enermax. It has enough amps for your current card and probably enough for a midrange DX10 card should you decide you want to upgrade. It would be my choice with your system.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Corsair/SeaSonic are definitely the way to go. Lately Enermax and Antec power supplies have been blowing up on a lot of people, so if you're concerned about that, avoid them.

You can't go wrong with that Corsair though (it's made by SeaSonic).

syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Thank you for your input now im down to two choices the fsp 500W and the Mushkin 550W. Now when i looked through the reviews the fsp had 1 or 2 reviews mentioning highpitched noise which kind of scares me..... im afraid of geting another psu that has midrange quality capacitors. Then on the oter hand i dont know anything about mushkin.. the only thing with that one its the same price and free shipping so on this deal there is 50 more watts and free shipping.....

Again thank you for you time.

Thank you for your input now im down to two choices the fsp 500W and the Mushkin 550W. Now when i looked through the reviews the fsp had 1 or 2 reviews mentioning highpitched noise which kind of scares me..... im afraid of geting another psu that has midrange quality capacitors. Then on the oter hand i dont know anything about mushkin.. the only thing with that one its the same price and free shipping so on this deal there is 50 more watts and free shipping.....

Again thank you for you time.
The Mushkin has 28A on the 12V rails. (It's not additive, you must divide the watts on the rails by 12V: 336W/12V = 28A combined.)

The FSP has 460W/12V = 38A combined.

Go to mpilchfamily's PSU Reference List to select a good PSU. I don't see that particular FSP 500W model on the list, but there is another FSP 500W PSU with 40A combined on the list.

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
if you want a descent psu with high quality components i suggest you go with FSP 500W.

That doesnt really make sense...

If you're looking for high quality components go with the OCZ.

If money is your main concern that FSP might be the one for you.

Here are a couple of others to consider. You might also already be looking at them and I didnt notice. Anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103512

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812002

dotti

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
what do you mean it doesnt make sense,

i m pretty sure i said it clearly enough to understand.

he needs a quality psu and he did "MENTIONED" his price range, so I recommended what it was best for him at his price range.

I know the OCZ are better, but for his system I think its overkill.

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
You stated that if he wanted "high quality components" he should go with the FSP... but the OCZ has higher quality components. So if he wanted high quality components it seems that he should go with the OCZ. That is why it didn't make sense to me. Thats all I was saying. No need to get defensive.

OK then, lets re-phrase it. If you want HIGH quality, get the FSP. If you want the HIGHEST quality (out of the ones mentioned, PC P&C might beat OCZ out) go with the OCZ. Either are good choices, it just depends on price and power needs.

syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Wow thank you everyone for looking. Since the mushkin is out of the picture due to the low amps and ocz :cry: i have to consider the fsp one. I would get the ocz if i had more money... that is if it wasnt mail in rebate. I have total of 110$ in the account so it sucks that i cant get the ocz.

This fsp i personaly never heard of it and im scared of making a bad investment since this fsp has reviws of a high piched noise coming out of it making me believe the capacitors are not so great. When i bought the xclio 450 which is dead now it had as well a few reviews like that. Now if you check the reviews it has lots of bad ones. As for enermax and antec they seem to be a good company that lately they are loosing the trust of their customers.

This is supossed to last me for another 3-4 years with some heavy gaming included.

well ill wait for a few more posts then ill make the decison probably going for the fsp 500w one.

If you come over a better choice please tell me
and again
Thank you everyone for your time and input.

After looking over this thread again I now suggest this power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817174026
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious, who would ever buy a power supply where the shipping costs are almost more that the hardware?

Syche9876, FSP is an outstanding brand if that's what you decide to go with. Really, you should PM mpilchfamily (the author of the above linked PSU reference list) to get an expert opinion on whatever PSU you select. I believe he uses FSP units himself.

syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Thank you for the effort, i will go with the fsp 500w one. Ill order it tonight once im back from work.

All of you have been great help, so again Thank You so much. :D

Criminal89

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
OCZ power supplies are built by Fortron!!!!!

OCZ designed the SLI-Ready GameXstream 700W power supply specifically for PC enthusiasts, Power Users, and Gamers! OCZ’s new GameXstream power supplies are built by Fortron-Source (FSP) and incorporate high-quality components that deliver stable output voltages with high efficiency and minimal noise. The power supply features quad +12V outputs, active PFC, and a single 120mm cooling fan with blue LEDs for added lighting effects. All of the sleeved cables are hard-wired.

OCZ power supplies are built by Fortron!!!!!

OCZ designed the SLI-Ready GameXstream 700W power supply specifically for PC enthusiasts, Power Users, and Gamers! OCZ’s new GameXstream power supplies are built by Fortron-Source (FSP) and incorporate high-quality components that deliver stable output voltages with high efficiency and minimal noise. The power supply features quad +12V outputs, active PFC, and a single 120mm cooling fan with blue LEDs for added lighting effects. All of the sleeved cables are hard-wired.
bout time someone pointed it out....

After looking over this thread again I now suggest this power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817174026
That honestly will run his system with no probs, as long as he does not plan any big(DX10) upgrades...