PSU Blew today due to a screw falling in to it

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello,
I rather stupidly blew my coolermaster 500w psu today i was reseating the graphics card and a screw fell into the psu i thought i had got it out then plugged the damn thing in as i plugged it in it instantly blew and forced the cable back while in my hand causing the trip box in my house to trip. Since my pc was not acutally turned on what is the chance my mobo, processor, ram and disc drives etc will be ok. I have ordered a new psu due to arrive tomorrow after i begged the company for it to be sent asap lol.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Incase it is any use my specs are:

Asrock 990fx extreme 3 motherboard
AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz
Sapphire HD 6750 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
4gb Corsair vengance DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
1x 320gb sata hard drive
1x 250gb hard drive 2.5 sata

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Hope so I am just so worried. Mobo itself looks fine and no scorching and such. So hopefully I can just plug it in and have no issues :)

InvalidError

Titan

With the PSU in soft-off mode, the only part providing power would be the 5VSB supply which has insufficient energy to cause major sparks and certainly not enough to trip the mains' breaker so whatever blew up is certainly on the primary side. The likelihood of damage to any PC components is very low so the rest of your PC is most likely fine.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

So basically as I hadnt turned the pc on using the case power button it is most likely to just be the psu and it will be safe to plug my new one in when i get it also?

InvalidError

Titan

Even if your PC had been on, the likelihood of a primary-side short severe enough to trip a breaker (and likely vaporize the PSU's fuse) causing damage on the secondary (output) side would still be very low.

There is a tiny possibility that the short may have been across primary and secondary sides but with all the keep-out zones between sides and usually grounded heatsinks on both sides of critical areas, this is unlikely unless you dropped a (very) long screw.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
There was a small bang and little spark from the plug input and the screw was in the side containing the large capacitators right below them resting on a tiny metal strip which now has a small burn mark on it and it was a tiny screw for keeping the graphics card secure so not too big.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

There was a small bang and little spark from the plug input and the screw was in the side containing the large capacitators right below them resting on a tiny metal strip which now has a small burn mark on it and it was a tiny screw for keeping the graphics card secure so not too big.

Hopefully nothing else fried. That would be great news, because the silver lining in this dark cloud is you're getting rid of a near-junk overrated, inefficient, CM PSU. Hopefully your new one is of higher quality, such as anything [built by] Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/LEPA, or even FSP.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

That was confusing on mine at the fan looks like it at the top as the label was upside down and some of the screw mounts in the back of my case didnt match although that may just be me as this pc is my first successful build lol did 2 builds in 1 week.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
You should be able to mount it either way, but when the fan is sitting open like a cup... Well Murphy's law dictates that the screw will always fall into the fan...
Plus most bottom mount cases have air intakes on the floor of the case to allow air to come in from the ground.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Hope so too although this pc is a cheap build i still dont want to have to fork out for new components :fou:

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I know i defo gunna do that with new one cheers for advice :)

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
UPDATE :)

New PSU arrived today all plugged up and working like before :D All components are fine. Thanks for all your comments.

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Cheers and I have lol this time i made sure the fan was facing the bottom of the case so no chance of a screw falling in again :p .

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I got two with the case one for top and one for bottom got them both in use now should see amount of dust they catch :)

Trixz_D

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Yep I do it at least once a week and clean the fans to best thing to do i think lol

TRENDING THREADS