Question PSU blew up. Are other components okay?

May 24, 2023
So yesterday while gaming I suddenly saw a flash near my PSU alongwith a loud pop sound, causing my PC to instantly shutdown. When I opened my cabinet, I saw a small metal piece stuck behind my motherboard(don't ask how it got there). I tested my motherboard and psu at a friend's pc only to find out that both of them are dead. My guess is that the motherboard suffered a short circuit when it got into contact with the metal piece, taking out the PSU alongwith it(it could also be the other way around). Now I just want to know if my CPU, RAM and GTX 1650 SUPER are okay or not.

P.S- There are no signs of physical damage in the other components. All of their pins are completely fine and intact without any burns. They also don't smell suspicious.

Any answers would be appreciated. I've ordered a new motherboard and PSU but in really stressed about my other components.

Well, Good chance they should be fine, but of course a power failure like that, you just don't know.

The only thing you can do is test them parts in a different system, or buy a new board and PSU and test them out in the new board.

I've killed many PSU's over the 20 years I've been building and servicing computers for customers, I can only remember 1 customer that came in and the PSU killed anything it was plugged into it, so GPU, all of his drives, motherboard, case fans shockingly survived, But his ram was good, CPU was even good along with his sound card.

So it really depends and you wont be able to really find out until you try it in a known working system.

Good Luck!

Reactions: DevilSlayer72
May 24, 2023
Well, Good chance they should be fine, but of course a power failure like that, you just don't know.

The only thing you can do is test them parts in a different system, or buy a new board and PSU and test them out in the new board.

I've killed many PSU's over the 20 years I've been building and servicing computers for customers, I can only remember 1 customer that came in and the PSU killed anything it was plugged into it, so GPU, all of his drives, motherboard, case fans shockingly survived, But his ram was good, CPU was even good along with his sound card.

So it really depends and you wont be able to really find out until you try it in a known working system.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your answer man, I've ordered a new board and PSU.

By the way, my PSU had Short Circuit Protection, Over Voltage Protection and Over Current Protection, so I'm guessing that should protect the other components?

Thanks for your answer man, I've ordered a new board and PSU.

By the way, my PSU had Short Circuit Protection, Over Voltage Protection and Over Current Protection, so I'm guessing that should protect the other components?
All modern ones do but those for input protection so mainly just buzzwords. Good part is that PSU wasn't at fault but was caused by something else like short in some component so chances that something else is affected are minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilSlayer72
May 24, 2023
All modern ones do but those for input protection so mainly just buzzwords. Kood part is that PSU wasn't at fault but was caused by something else like short in some component so chances that something else is affected are minimal.
Understood. There aren't any signs of damage on the components so I'm hoping they should be fine

That's not a good PSU. Your next PSU should be all about quality. Someone here should be able help you select a good one.