[SOLVED] PSU blew up, what could it have damaged?

Oct 23, 2020
My PSU blew up when i turned it on for the very first time, just wondering what parts i need to reorder.

I tried with another PSU and still can't get anything to turn on. So i presume the mobo is damaged too. But could the fans/memory/m.2/gpu/cpu etc be dead also?

Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
We cant help you here, you should seek a trusted computer tech, and contacting Corsair for refund if everything was burnt [incase you still have the warranty ofc].

Yes, we can.

IMO pull every part out and inspect it. It is possible if it burnt the motherboard especially you may see burnt traces on the board. A Good PSU will not take out the rest of your equipment when failing and that Corsair you have is a good one, that said your issue may not be that the PSU blew everything up, but something else that caused a short to blow the PSU up.

After inspecting the hardware try installing just the CPU, memory, and the other PSU you have with the board on top of its box NOT in the case and see if it powers up

Let us know what happens.
Oct 23, 2020
Yikes

I would assume that everything is gone. :(

Sorry

Depends on the explosion

Loud pop and a bit of smoke :(

You'll have to test every component.

Motherboard could be fried
as well as HDDs/SSDs
(not sure about M.2 drive though).
Graphics card - also possibly damaged,
ram - less likely to be damaged.
CPU - most likely to survive.

Is there a way to test components, other than plugging them into components that you know work?

Oct 23, 2020
After finishing putting everything together, turned it on for the first time, nothing happened, unplugged it to check the power button header was in correctly. Turned on again and got a loud pop and smoke.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
We cant help you here, you should seek a trusted computer tech, and contacting Corsair for refund if everything was burnt [incase you still have the warranty ofc].

Yes, we can.

IMO pull every part out and inspect it. It is possible if it burnt the motherboard especially you may see burnt traces on the board. A Good PSU will not take out the rest of your equipment when failing and that Corsair you have is a good one, that said your issue may not be that the PSU blew everything up, but something else that caused a short to blow the PSU up.

After inspecting the hardware try installing just the CPU, memory, and the other PSU you have with the board on top of its box NOT in the case and see if it powers up

Let us know what happens.

Reactions: thefxgamingrules
Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
He already said he tested the parts with another PSU, how can you help him ? he should seek a professional with high equipment to check his components.

He said he plugged in another PSU, that however doesn't rule out a short due to the case, or his GPU having a short, or any number of other possibilities. He hasn't physically inspected anything, a component could be burnt which would be visible on the board.

Bench testing from the start, especially if he has a replacement PSU can easily narrow down the issue, as can a close visual inspection. He may well have just had a bad PSU, though its rare, especially because he has such a good quality one.

People come here for help and that is what we are here to do. Telling people to just go out and spend money on professional to fix it is not helpful advice at all, if that was the answer to everything we wouldn't need to exist here. If you are not capable because you don't understand the troubleshooting process, then I suggest you leave posts like this to those of us who do understand.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
He already said he tested the parts with another PSU, how can you help him ? he should seek a professional with high equipment to check his components.

It takes an enormous amount of nerve to tell someone what help can or can not be provided for their PSU while you simultaneously have a thread in which you're asking basic PSU questions because you don't actually know much about PSUs.

People come here asking for help with actual issues that cause them money, time, and anxiety. They deserve better than having someone with little subject matter experience or expertise telling them what people who know way more than them can or cannot do. The two posters you're lecturing about have, combined, solved the problems of more than 6,000 people in these forums.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
He said he plugged in another PSU, that however doesn't rule out a short due to the case, or his GPU having a short, or any number of other possibilities. He hasn't physically inspected anything, a component could be burnt which would be visible on the board.

Bench testing from the start, especially if he has a replacement PSU can easily narrow down the issue, as can a close visual inspection. He may well have just had a bad PSU, though its rare, especially because he has such a good quality one.

People come here for help and that is what we are here to do. Telling people to just go out and spend money on professional to fix it is not helpful advice at all, if that was the answer to everything we wouldn't need to exist here. If you are not capable because you don't understand the troubleshooting process, then I suggest you leave posts like this to those of us who do understand.
My dear friend, im not doubting your knowledge or skills or anyone in this community, and i do apologize if i offended you in anyway, my point is this proccess is hard for someone who has no idea what happend to his PC, and ill remove older comments for the sake of the website, thank you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My dear friend, im not doubting your knowledge or skills or anyone in this community, and i do apologize if i offended you in anyway, my point is this proccess is hard for someone who has no idea what happend to his PC, and ill remove older comments for the sake of the website, thank you.

No, its not very hard, we are here to make it easy for them. I'm not asking the guy to take out an oscilloscope and check a waveform, I'm asking him to take his motherboard and put it on top of a box and plug in a PSU to it. Then also give it a visual inspection to see if there is somethin burnt (which will be very noticeable).

No need to remove your comments, we have it from here.