[SOLVED] PSU blown again on prebuilt desktop - - - I think ?

Feb 23, 2022
I purchased an ASUS Prebuilt G15CE-B9. Link is below.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...070-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd/6455823.p?skuId=6455823

I got the first one in December, and even the Best Buy guy says power supply most likely went bad, within two weeks. Got another computer, same model. Again, this one went out, just took 6 weeks. I'm on a lease with Progressive Leasing, but I am taking it back, I assume to get my money I've put in back. I don't want to try a third one. I've never has issues before, but I am a streamer and gamer with Elgato and Razer Ripsaw capture cards hooked up to it. Also, every USB port is used, plus an adapter.

The power supply is a 750 80 Gold, can't remember the name. I"m wondering, before I take this back, is it the power suply and if so, would upgrading to a 1000 watt power supply cure the problem, or did the motherboard blow? No lights on the MB are working. It also constantly connects/disconnects USB perpherials, (mouse, keyboard etc.). Hoping there may be a fix.

Solution
A 750w should be fine with that setup. But that depends on the 750w model and what kind of bios/software setup. If running Asus performance mode, it raises the power limits and adds time to Tau, so instead of relaxing back to TDP/PL1 after a 56 second boost, the cpu stays at boosted max for a lot longer. That means 250w+ for the cpu, 200w for the gpu, 100w (ish) for all the rest, and if any OC is applied you can add more. You could top 600w easily. A crappy 750w might not handle that for continuous use.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 750w should be fine with that setup. But that depends on the 750w model and what kind of bios/software setup. If running Asus performance mode, it raises the power limits and adds time to Tau, so instead of relaxing back to TDP/PL1 after a 56 second boost, the cpu stays at boosted max for a lot longer. That means 250w+ for the cpu, 200w for the gpu, 100w (ish) for all the rest, and if any OC is applied you can add more. You could top 600w easily. A crappy 750w might not handle that for continuous use.

Solution