Question PSU blown or motherboard fault?

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
My pc wouldn't turn on earlier. I have Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene board with i7-7700K cpu and Corsair HX650 psu. The onboard leds were lighting but no action from the power switch or cpu fan. I tried taking everything off the board except the psu, cpu and one stick of ram, and bridging the power switch headers pins with a piece of wire but still nothing. I was just about to remove the power cable when there was a loud crack and a whiff of acrid smoke. I thought the psu had blown, but the onboard leds were still lit. I tried a couple of other psu's and they didn't turn on either. But they are both 20-pin board connectors with a single 4-pin cpu cable. The board has a 24-pin power connector and 8-pin cpu connector. I'm not sure if this matters though. But I don't have another 24-pin/8-pin compatible psu to test the board with.

Im pretty certain it's the psu ok. But I don't want to buy another psu if its the board which has gone. Thoughts.

Last edited:

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
My pc wouldn't turn on earlier. I have Asus ROG Maximus VIII Gene board with i7-7700K cpu and Corsair HX650 psu. The onboard leds were lighting but no action from the power switch or cpu fan. I tried taking everything off the board except the psu, cpu and one stick of ram, and bridging the power switch headers pins with a piece of wire but still nothing. I was just about to remove the power cable when there was a loud crack and a whiff of acrid smoke. I thought the psu had blown, but the onboard leds were still lit. I tried a couple of other psu's and they didn't turn on either. But they are both 20-pin board connectors with a single 4-pin cpu cable. The board has a 24-pin power connector and 8-pin cpu connector. I'm not sure if this matters though. But I don't have another 24-pin/8-pin compatible psu to test the board with.

Im pretty certain it's the psu ok. But I don't want to buy another psu if its the board which has gone. Thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS