PSU Bottleneck GPU?

Manichampionman

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

So a Well built PSU could just not have the Wattage to keep up under severe load?

TripleBullet

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Yes. The GPU would pull more power than the PSU could supply. Resulting in shut downs and eventually the PSU would give up and die. Unless of course your PSU is good enough to handle the GPU, then there are no issues.

Lumber-jack

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Think of putting a Honda Civic engine in a Corvette and then trying to race... You will burn out the engine eventually and probably do damage to the car because you are trying to compensate for the lack of engine power.

Manichampionman

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
K, I've done the PSU calculator and I need just under 500W? I have a corsair 650W. So it would seem I have a bit of room to install a SSD other fans, etc?

A friend of mine just purchased a R9 280x and fried a 700W PSU so I'm kinda paranoid, must have been a crumby PSU then!

Lumber-jack

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Without looking at the specs mentioned above it depends on what else they had installed on the computer if it was enough but 750 should be more than enough for any video card alone. Not all 750 watt PSU's are built the same quality. The video card will have its wattage in the specs along with everything else and you can do a PSU requirement on many websites. Perhaps it wasn't the PSU and just a poor install too?

The PSU calculator should take into account ALL devices hooked up to computer. You should not get a PSU too big as it isn't efficient but if you are to error do it on the high side (not low).

Manichampionman

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks i did not think about too much power, makes sense though