PSU bronze certified with cheap price

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
Helo everyone, i would like to ask something about PSU
im a bit confused on deciding which to buy, is it safe to just buy any PSU with atleast bronze certified? ( ask my friend suggested )

Say i wanna buy a Digital Alliance PSU bronze certified with 600w, but the digital alliance is not even in the tier list of psu.

so i would like to know your opinion regarding this, thank you

Solution
A bronze rating is no indicator of quality.

Is this the Psu ?

http://www.digitalalliance.co.id/da-psu-dengen-600w-80-bronze/

If so the answer is NO.

Look at the 12v rail rating on those specs.

Its 20amps, 20 amps x 12v =240
That unit has 240w available at 12v.
12v supplies 90% of the power your components need,in a pc, that Psu in reality is about a 250-300w model max with a 600w label stuck on it.

Buy branded, even a poor quality generic 600w psu should have 40amps at least on the 12v.
A bronze rating is no indicator of quality.

Is this the Psu ?

http://www.digitalalliance.co.id/da-psu-dengen-600w-80-bronze/

If so the answer is NO.

Look at the 12v rail rating on those specs.

Its 20amps, 20 amps x 12v =240
That unit has 240w available at 12v.
12v supplies 90% of the power your components need,in a pc, that Psu in reality is about a 250-300w model max with a 600w label stuck on it.

Buy branded, even a poor quality generic 600w psu should have 40amps at least on the 12v.

Solution
That PSU is guaranteed to be a bad unit.
This unit is very far from 600W capable.
Looking from the amps on each voltage especially on the 12V part, That company lies about the capacity.
This is an indication not to trust that PSU.

It is better to look for more trustable brands like Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, etc.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
thank you so much for the responses, appreciated

so im looking for a good/decent psu with 600w but with the cheapest price, any idea what should i get? and should i just ignore the bronze/silver/gold certification and just focus on the brand?

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
is it safe to just buy any PSU with atleast bronze certified?
Definitely not. They’re just efficiency ratings. A PSU doesn’t need to have good build quality + good electrical performance + Quiet + sufficient protections + well priced to be efficient.
And brands can lie about their efficiency badge.

the tier list of psu.
What is the tier list of psu? Many people have tried to make a tier list, all are different, none are reliable. The one on this site was purged.

When power supplies can only deliver 40% if their rated power as 12V, it’s an indication it’s crap. This is the case with the PSU madmatt linked

It is better to look for more trustable brands like Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, etc.
When it comes to power supplies, brand is mostly irrelevant. They all sell some low end/avoidable products, lie, etc. And there are many not-so-popular brands that produce some higher quality PSUs.
Choose by model, using professional reviews.

What are your full system specs? You likely won’t need close to a 600w PSU.
Which country are you buying from?
What is your budget?

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

my full system specs would be
amd fx8320
8gb ram
nvidia gtx960
2 units of 1tb hdd and 1 unit of 500gb
my motherboard is a gigabyte (i dont remember the series)

my specs need only 500w of psu, but since it just exploded im planning to invest a bit more in it, as in 600w so i wont need to concern about less power once i upgrade my system in the future

and im from indonesia, my budget would be less than 80$

Any websites we can peruse that are native to you ??

A good 450w is enough (that has 430w+ on the 12v) & would still be prerable to a crap 600w (a point already proved by that model you were looking at)

A corsair cx450 has close to twice the available power of that '600w labelled' unit & can power any cpu/gpu combo up to an rx 580 / 1070ti.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

https://www.enterkomputer.com/psu.php this would be the website im planning to buy from, the rate is 100$ = Rp.1,400.000

tons of options, but i really cant decide, but im looking at the corsair vs series 550W, is that any good?

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

im thinking of getting as cheap as possible, maybe down to the 70$, (for personal reason as my extra money lol) so, is that corsair vs series 550w good enough??

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

as it has stated PURE in there, so it should be fine even if i upgrade my system quite a bit right? for a 500w power?

BeQuiet! PURE POWER 10
PURE POWER is the name of the series.
Not the usual "pure".
But it should be enough for your FX83xx and GTX960.

For future upgrade?
It depends what and how you are planing to upgrade.
If you plan for 2xGTX1080Ti, 500W is definitely not enough.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

no, maybe for like a single 1080ti, i7, and something like 16gb ram, will that suffice??
and as for the exploded psu, yes it did literally explode 2 days ago while its on lol
good thing is i checked everything and they are still working but the psu

For something 1080ti and I7 8700k, 500W is near limit by all stock frequency or light OC on both proc and GPU. (rough calculation abaround 450-480W will be used during full performance)
I would take 550-650W for such plan.

@Rexper: well-known brands have already their own standards. Their PSUs will never be in such a crap condition like that Digital Alliance. I also lived in Jakarta for quite some times and I have plenty of experiences using cheap junk brands and known brands.

rapierv

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
Thank you everyone for the responses, they are all very much appreciated

i have decided and bought Be Quiet Pure power 10 500W with a very decent and good price, but hopefully it will stay good and working for the next 5 hours or after i upgrade some of my system.