[SOLVED] PSU buzzing and I cant figure out why?

Ethan544

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
Hey guys! So as it says in the title my sea sonic 650w plus gold PSU keeps on making a buzzing sound and I cant figure for the life of me why! I have had a replacement sent to me and it was fine for the first hour and then the new one has started to make a buzz? I am not sure if it has something to do with a vibration causing the buzzing but I dont know where from. it is not a constant noise either it seems to come and go and whether it is under high load or not does not matter.

Solution
Hey guys! So as it says in the title my sea sonic 650w plus gold PSU keeps on making a buzzing sound and I cant figure for the life of me why! I have had a replacement sent to me and it was fine for the first hour and then the new one has started to make a buzz? I am not sure if it has something to do with a vibration causing the buzzing but I dont know where from. it is not a constant noise either it seems to come and go and whether it is under high load or not does not matter.

Which Seasonic 80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU do you have? Focus? Prime? X-650? G-Series?

What graphics card do you have?

What is your mains voltage (115V, 230V, etc.)?

Is your outlet grounded? (Not just "does it have a ground pin"... but is that...
Open up your tower, unscrew the PSU and place it on the table. Then turn on the PC with the PSU outside (whilst still being fully connected) and see if you can locate the buzzing sound. If it's a vibration then you just need to find some sort of rubber grommets or something to place. If it's electrical - check a different power outlet/socket in the house. Proceed by process of elimination till you find out where it's from.

Which Seasonic 80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU do you have? Focus? Prime? X-650? G-Series?

What graphics card do you have?

What is your mains voltage (115V, 230V, etc.)?

Is your outlet grounded? (Not just "does it have a ground pin"... but is that ground pin ACTUALLY grounded?)

When does it buzz? While in standby? When idle? When under load?

Do as @julienruc suggests and run the PC with the PSU outside of the case so you can better understand where in the PSU the buzzing is occuring. AC inlet? Fan motor? Main transformer?

Solution