Question PSU buzzing noise when its off

Sep 17, 2019
Hello
My PSU suddenly started to make a buzzing sound very low frequency one you have to put your ear behind it to listen to it but at night you can hear it even when you stand next to it, regardless if my psu is on or off, as soon as i turn on my aircondition the sound starts , my psu is a 1600w superflower platinum leadex its one years old works perfectly without and any problems

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
RMA it if you can, random buzzing from your PSU is never a good sign, the last thing you want is your hardware to be fried from a bad PSU. If you have warranty, for sure look into getting a replacement, you can never be too safe. This might be me being a bit to paranoid, but its better to be safe than sorry imho.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
It sounds like electrical feedback from the Air Conditioner.
That tells me you need to check the wiring in your house ASAP, unless you are really cold and want a house fire to warm up. ;)

If the Air conditioner is a window unit I would try moving the PC to a different circuit (outlet) and see if it goes away.

7. Buzzing. What does electricity sound like? When things are working properly, nothing. Generally electricity flows smoothly and quietly between connections. But loose prongs, outlets or fraying wire can all cause the current to jump, producing a buzzing sound in the process. If you’re sure a sound is originating at an outlet, stop using it and call an electrician.
From here:
http://www.safebee.com/home/8-signs-you-may-have-problem-your-electrical-wiring

Reactions: oldcracc
Sep 17, 2019
My airconditioner is
Wall mounted i tryied powering it on from an outlet in the living room from downstairs , same thing, the provlem
Is that if i dont know the problem and i switch psu , the problem may persist , i will check
The wiring tho

RMA it if you can, random buzzing from your PSU is never a good sign, the last thing you want is your hardware to be fried from a bad PSU. If you have warranty, for sure look into getting a replacement, you can never be too safe. This might be me being a bit to paranoid, but its better to be safe than sorry imho.

NEVER a good sign?

Fear monger much?

Hello
My PSU suddenly started to make a buzzing sound very low frequency one you have to put your ear behind it to listen to it but at night you can hear it even when you stand next to it, regardless if my psu is on or off, as soon as i turn on my aircondition the sound starts , my psu is a 1600w superflower platinum leadex its one years old works perfectly without and any problems

It's either the PFC coil or the +5VSB transformer vibrating at an audible frequency. It's fine. Problem is the AC unit is introducing noise into the line that the PSU can't filter. You can have an electrician come to your house to try and address it, but it's not a bad PSU and another one will likely do the same thing.

Sep 17, 2019
nice to know , didnt always have this problem tho , it started 2 weeks ago
NEVER a good sign?

Fear monger much?

It's either the PFC coil or the +5VSB transformer vibrating at an audible frequency. It's fine. Problem is the AC unit is introducing noise into the line that the PSU can't filter. You can have an electrician come to your house to try and address it, but it's not a bad PSU and another one will likely do the same thing.
nice to know, but this problem started 2 weeks ago, it wasnt always like this thats why im worried , will call my electrician tho thank you!

as i mentioned tho, this is happening even if the PSU is off, from the back switch

There are typically X/Y caps in the input of the PSU before the PSU switch. It might be these that are buzzing. (It's rare though) Without a good look at the waveform your outlet is putting out it's hard to say.

It's also possible your surge suppressor has gone bad. MOV's used inside them have a limited lifetime before safety mechanisms either blow a fuse (caused by shorting to ground) or circumvent them. So try a different surge suppressor also.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Sep 17, 2019
There are typically X/Y caps in the input of the PSU before the PSU switch. It might be these that are buzzing. (It's rare though) Without a good look at the waveform your outlet is putting out it's hard to say.

It's also possible your surge suppressor has gone bad. MOV's used inside them have a limited lifetime before safety mechanisms either blow a fuse (caused by shorting to ground) or circumvent them. So try a different surge suppressor also.

for surge supressprs i need to call the electrician right?

for surge supressprs i need to call the electrician right?

No one of these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

Just make sure it's properly labeled as such, has a Joule rating and clamp time/voltage. Cyperpower, Tripp lite-Isobar, APC all make okay surge suppressors.

The electrical reviews here on Tom's does an excellent break down on the quality of various brands.

as i mentioned tho, this is happening even if the PSU is off, from the back switch

Super Flower's higher efficiency Leadex PSUs have an interesting design that's not very common. The ON/OFF Switch doesn't actually kill the power to the PSU's main PCB. Because switches introduce resistance that can impact overall efficiency, SF implemented a relay that is activated by the switch that kills power AFTER the transient filtering stage.

So as @digitalgriffin asserts; you may very well just be hearing an X cap or Y cap vibrating.

Sep 17, 2019
Super Flower's higher efficiency Leadex PSUs have an interesting design that's not very common. The ON/OFF Switch doesn't actually kill the power to the PSU's main PCB. Because switches introduce resistance that can impact overall efficiency, SF implemented a relay that is activated by the switch that kills power AFTER the transient filtering stage.

So as @digitalgriffin asserts; you may very well just be hearing an X cap or Y cap vibrating.
I get it i can understand that but why is the sound only there when the AC is on ? Does it apply load on my PSU? electrician coming today btw

Sep 17, 2019
No. Nobody ever said that.

The AC is introducing noise into your mains. You need thar electrician.

I was merely explaining why you would still get noise if the switch is off.
I see tha lnk you ,but if this started like suddenly i means something went bad , so i will check it out woth the electrician tha k you everyone for the help!