[SOLVED] PSU buzzing when I overclock GPU

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
I just bought this fresh new Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 750w 80 plus platinum and still am testing it in different loads and in-game scenarios where resources are demanding.

So far, I am completely satisfied with it's performance...especially it's lack of noise! (it's literally muted)

However, I tried overclocking my GPU with MSI Afterburner (power limit set to max) and I put my ear right next to the grill of the PSU in the case's back to listen to the noise it makes.

I hear a very subtle and constant buzz sound and was wondering - is there anything wrong with my PSU or is that just how electricity sounds when it does it's thing on higher loads and there's nothing too weird to worry about?

It's a very faint noise, to be more precise - you almost have to stick your ear on the back grill to even notice it. I used to do this test on my old bronze-rated enermax NAXN 750w which was already like 8 years old and felt the need to change it. The naxn was way worse though - You could easily hear crackling (not buzzing) sounds even from the seat area when I'd overclock the gpu with the same profile and even the fan would get a "clicky" sound during it's spin and that's what made me upgrade, since I already upgraded my entire system, piece by piece and didn't wanna risk it with an old and overused PSU.

But how about this new PSU though? I'm kind of nervous for hearing bad news right now. It's the very last upgraded piece and I just don't wanna go back to pc building.

Solution
Update: The PSU also makes a metallic click sound when the power goes off after i shut down the pc. Is that normal?

That's normal. That's just an inrush current relay.

And "coil whine" can manifest itself as either a buzz or a whine, but the cause is the same.

Your PSU is fine.