Question Psu cable 125V/10A to 220V wallet ?

Sep 11, 2021
TUF-GAMING-550B supports input voltages 100V-240V.
So - only thing you have to worry is compatible cable to your wall socket.

Is this, how your wall socket looks like?

Vietnam-Electrical-Outlet.jpg

If so, then get a compaticle cable.

PSU-Power-Cable-1-5m-1-5mm-USA-UK-EU-Schuko-Plug-IEC-C13-Power-Cord.jpg

Reactions: Tony Truong

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It will work, but it IS RISKY. How heavy the WIRES in the cable are determines the AMPS they may carry safely. At 220 VAC in the supply, the AMPS is only half what would be used at 1125 V back in North America. BUT what is important here is the rating of the INSULATION around each wire in the power cable. Your cable has insulation suited for 125 V on the wires, but you propose to use it with twice the Voltage. I expect it will work only because the insulation rating includes a significant margin of safety. Using it at twice the rated voltage reduces that margin to very small!

You would be much better to get a proper 220 VAC cable fitted for your electrical system in Vietnam. Since you are limited in ability to get that, you can choose to risk using what you have anyway. But DO get a proper cord as soon as you can.

It will work, but it IS RISKY. How heavy the WIRES in the cable are determines the AMPS they may carry safely. At 220 VAC in the supply, the AMPS is only half what would be used at 1125 V back in North America. BUT what is important here is the rating of the INSULATION around each wire in the power cable. Your cable has insulation suited for 125 V on the wires, but you propose to use it with twice the Voltage. I expect it will work only because the insulation rating includes a significant margin of safety. Using it at twice the rated voltage reduces that margin to very small!

You would be much better to get a proper 220 VAC cable fitted for your electrical system in Vietnam. Since you are limited in ability to get that, you can choose to risk using what you have anyway. But DO get a proper cord as soon as you can.
Those cables can stand far more power than needed for ordinary PSU.

Sep 11, 2021

I dont want to risky, but everybody say cord 125V/10A ok. Im confused

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is IS OK from the viewpoint of current-carrying capacity and heating of the cable. The "risky" part I spoke about is the rating of the insulation on each wire for the VOLTAGE between them. Using it as you propose WILL work and it is likely you will NOT see the problem. But just to illustate the issue with "pulled-from-the air" numbers, the cord you have is rated for 125 VAC, but the insulation probably will stand up to a voltage of 300 or 400 V. BIG safety margin. When you use it with 220 VAC nstead, it still works, but the safety margin is smaller. Over time if the insulation weakens, OR you have repeated high voltage surges, it MAY fail more easily that a proper cord. Not a high probability, but it's there. That is why I say use it now temporarily, but I recommend you plan to upgrade the cord when you can.

Sep 11, 2021
Is IS OK from the viewpoint of current-carrying capacity and heating of the cable. The "risky" part I spoke about is the rating of the insulation on each wire for the VOLTAGE between them. Using it as you propose WILL work and it is likely you will NOT see the problem. But just to illustate the issue with "pulled-from-the air" numbers, the cord you have is rated for 125 VAC, but the insulation probably will stand up to a voltage of 300 or 400 V. BIG safety margin. When you use it with 220 VAC nstead, it still works, but the safety margin is smaller. Over time if the insulation weakens, OR you have repeated high voltage surges, it MAY fail more easily that a proper cord. Not a high probability, but it's there. That is why I say use it now temporarily, but I recommend you plan to upgrade the cord when you can.
Im understand, thank you verymuch

Sep 11, 2021
i just bought new cable 250V/16A but it’s smaller than 125V/10A
View: https://imgur.com/a/eKxaftE

At 220Volts and 10 Amps that's 2.2KW (2200Watts) of power that cable is rated for and that's more than your average electric space heater !! With safety factor it's probably at least twice that,. Your PSU doesn't even get close to it in normal use and 8.4Amps maximum at full load which practically means a full short, so you are safe with any power cords except maybe for a desk lamp.
It's all about physics
Amperes * Volts = Watts and Wat is the measure of work which is main measure of heat produced in the cable.