[SOLVED] Psu cable moves slightly while plugged into psu

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Hello.
I built this PC 3 and a half months ago and I haven't had any problems so far ...until now.
After i cleaned my PC and plugged the psu cable , i felt it moving a bit up and down while its plugged in.
It does not shutdown the PC or does the electrical buzz if i move it while pc is on.
Is this gonna be a problem in the future or should i change the cable ? (or even the psu?)

PSU: Aerocool VX Plus 500W

Yes i kinda got a cheap psu with no 80+ and non branded

I can list the remaining components if needed

Solution
You should just replace the PSU. The fact that we've already told you about the quality of this unit should be sufficient to forewarn you of what you've already found by the fact that the whole thing is poorly assembled. You really need MORE evidence than that? I know you don't realize it, but Jon, who is the other person replying to you in this thread, is the director of research and development for Corsair's PSU division and was previously their PSU product manager. Not to mention the founder of the JonnyGuru website. If you don't know what that is, you might go take a look.

IF you continue to use that unit, then unfortunately you will deserve whatever catastrophic occurrence ends up happening, and something will, sooner or later. My...
List the components, and yes, that is a HORRIBLE power supply. You would be VERY wise to get it out of your system as soon as possible and replace it with something that has at least some kind of mediocre quality, if not actually a good unit. That, is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. It uses poor capacitors, has very poor assembly and soldering quality. Poor design.

Aerocool simply isn't known for quality power supplies and in fact, despite having a few other products on the market that are actually halfway decent, is known for selling some of the worst power supplies available when compared to other "known" brands.

I'd replace it asap if you care about the rest of your hardware.

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
List the components, and yes, that is a HORRIBLE power supply. You would be VERY wise to get it out of your system as soon as possible and replace it with something that has at least some kind of mediocre quality, if not actually a good unit. That, is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. It uses poor capacitors, has very poor assembly and soldering quality. Poor design.

Aerocool simply isn't known for quality power supplies and in fact, despite having a few other products on the market that are actually halfway decent, is known for selling some of the worst power supplies available when compared to other "known" brands.

I'd replace it asap if you care about the rest of your hardware.
Thanks for responding

Those are under warranty bought together including the PSU (3 and half months ago)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2ghz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2x8 2666mhz
Mobo: B450M DS3H
Case: Zalman T3

Those are not(bought throught years) :
GPU: Msi GTX 750TI LP 2gb
SSD 120GB (For Windows) :WDC WDS120G2G0A-00JH30
SSD 240GB (For Games that require fast load times) :ADATA SU650
HDD 500GB (Mixed with old games and some documents) :WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2

I wanted to upgrade to GTX 1650 LP OC ...but i guess that could wait until i get a good PSU .
Which one should i get if i wanted the GPU listed above?

After i cleaned my PC and plugged the psu cable , i felt it moving a bit up and down while its plugged in.

What is moving up and down? The actual connector (which should have a latch to keep it secure in place) or the wires within the connector.

Just to note: That is quite possibly the lowest quality PSU you could possibly buy and your entire PC is at risk because of it.

So, this is a VERY GOOD time to educate yourself, so that you too will be somebody who understands why the power supply is such an important component, rather than one of the knuckleheads out there who thinks it's ok to cheap out on this because they believe that ""500w is 500w" across the board. I assure you, it most definitely is NOT.

Read all of these. If you have questions on something, just ask.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/es/blog/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

And this is a good guide to how many "watts" you need. Keep in mind, after reading those articles you should already be aware that "watts" doesn't really mean anything unless the unit delivering the watts is a quality product.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
What is moving up and down? The actual connector (which should have a latch to keep it secure in place) or the wires within the connector.
This moves...and the whole back panel a bit

2MMHIn2.png

Just to note: That is quite possibly the lowest quality PSU you could possibly buy and your entire PC is at risk because of it.

Yes....im suprised it did not blew .... yet
Im looking at PSU's ASAP

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
So, this is a VERY GOOD time to educate yourself, so that you too will be somebody who understands why the power supply is such an important component, rather than one of the knuckleheads out there who thinks it's ok to cheap out on this because they believe that ""500w is 500w" across the board. I assure you, it most definitely is NOT.

Read all of these. If you have questions on something, just ask.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/es/blog/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

And this is a good guide to how many "watts" you need. Keep in mind, after reading those articles you should already be aware that "watts" doesn't really mean anything unless the unit delivering the watts is a quality product.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Sorry for the late response.
Thanks for the links , i had read all of them.

I looked at some PSU's from the same site i bought the components ( the ones under warranty ) and i will buy a Corsair TX Series....but which one ? ( Sorry the site is in romanian)

https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...m-gold-550w-120-mm-semi-modulara-3583159.html
OR
https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc...m-gold-750w-120-mm-semi-modulara-3583163.html (this one extends my budged by 9 Lei)

The only problem is the dimensions.... Corsair TX has 150 × 140 × 86 mm while Aerocool VX has 150 × 140 × 85 mm...will this affect the case or motherboard ?

Sorry if i have bad english and if i made a mistake writing this .....im a bit scared right now ...after il figure it out which psu to buy il unplug the pc and disassemble it

You should just replace the PSU. The fact that we've already told you about the quality of this unit should be sufficient to forewarn you of what you've already found by the fact that the whole thing is poorly assembled. You really need MORE evidence than that? I know you don't realize it, but Jon, who is the other person replying to you in this thread, is the director of research and development for Corsair's PSU division and was previously their PSU product manager. Not to mention the founder of the JonnyGuru website. If you don't know what that is, you might go take a look.

IF you continue to use that unit, then unfortunately you will deserve whatever catastrophic occurrence ends up happening, and something will, sooner or later. My bet is on sooner. Much sooner.

The TX550 would be a fine choice for that system.

Solution

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Yes i will replace it with one of the PSU's i listed above.
Oh...i will definetly check his website out.
IF you continue to use that unit, then unfortunately you will deserve whatever catastrophic occurrence ends up happening, and something will, sooner or later. My bet is on sooner. Much sooner.
I detached all the cables and will take it out the pc tomorrow.
The TX550 would be a fine choice for that system.
Alright...but to be on the safe side,should i get the TX750 for long term use?

A TX550, or any good 550w unit, is more than enough for the majority of builds and graphics cards out there. You'd have to be doing some moderately heavy overclocking or running a very high end graphics card like the latest RTX 30 series cards or one of the other top tier cards like the 2080/2080 ti or a very few others, to need anything more than a 550w unit. If you want to be completely sure because you plan to upgrade to a significantly higher tiered CPU and graphics card, then go with a good 650w unit. That will handle the majority of everything that's out there unless you decide you are going to spent the money on a 3080 or 3090 that's going to set you back between 900-1500 dollars just for the card. If not, then 650w should be plenty, but if you do plan to overclock both the CPU and graphics card, then a 750w unit might not be unrealistic, although that too would probably be easily handled by a 650w unit if it was a fairly good one.

Emiboss

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
A TX550, or any good 550w unit, is more than enough for the majority of builds and graphics cards out there. You'd have to be doing some moderately heavy overclocking or running a very high end graphics card like the latest RTX 30 series cards or one of the other top tier cards like the 2080/2080 ti or a very few others, to need anything more than a 550w unit. If you want to be completely sure because you plan to upgrade to a significantly higher tiered CPU and graphics card, then go with a good 650w unit. That will handle the majority of everything that's out there unless you decide you are going to spent the money on a 3080 or 3090 that's going to set you back between 900-1500 dollars just for the card. If not, then 650w should be plenty, but if you do plan to overclock both the CPU and graphics card, then a 750w unit might not be unrealistic, although that too would probably be easily handled by a 650w unit if it was a fairly good one.
Alright i went ahead and bought it

Thanks everyone for helping me!