[SOLVED] PSU cables are different, need help

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hello

I've been building my pc but just hit a snag with the power supply cables and gpu.
the GPU has a 8pin connection(female) and a 6pin slot

I've been provided with these cables, but the cables on my old build were slightly different.
I'm not familiar with the lingo for power supplies so I'll just type it out as I see them:

OLD PSU:
The old PSU/build was semi modular, so this setting below worked fine:
8 pin(already attached to psu)with a 6+2 cable (the last 2 pins on the 6+2 were not in use)

NEW PSU:
However, the new EVGA 720W G3 psu has these cables:
8pin (6+2)----- x2 cables(8pin on each cable)
8pin(6+2) with a shorter cable with another 8pin (6+2)----x2 cables (16 pin on each cablel)

Now considering my old build was using 2 separate cables, is it fine to use 2 separate cables in this case or alright to use the (6+2)+(6+2 with the 2pin hanging out)?

(I'm also restarting my computer, so I'll reply back in about 5-10mins)

Solution
Yes, its totally fine (and most times preferable) to use a different cable for each PCIe connection. You could use the same cable in a pinch though.
So in your case, one cable with the 6+2 snapped together into the 8 pin slot, and one cable with the +2 hanging off to the 6 pin slot is good to go.
Yes, its totally fine (and most times preferable) to use a different cable for each PCIe connection. You could use the same cable in a pinch though.
So in your case, one cable with the 6+2 snapped together into the 8 pin slot, and one cable with the +2 hanging off to the 6 pin slot is good to go.

Solution

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Ah sorry to resurrect this again but uh.. there are 4 VGA slots for the PSU
I'm using 4 and 1 since they're closest the the back end of the pc (so the cables are not bending too badly)

There's nothing wrong with that right?