Question PSU cables not fully slotted ?

morgant5796

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
So, I recently got some parts in and pretty much changed everything save my GPU & Case. Plugged everything in, got it working, but decided realized my 16 core CPU would probably need the extra 8? 6? pin plug in, so I did that and decided to mess with cable management a bit. I got almost everything plugged back in, however I had issues with 2 things:

The 2 CPU plug ins were very tight due to my top mounted radiator, so I couldn't really tell if I was slotting the pins in all the way. I applied a ton of pressure multiple times, but my fingers are so raw I gave up after a while without hearing a click.

My GPU connectors are I think 8 pin? Whatever the standard is, and I require two for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI. The pins I have are 6 with an extra 2 pin attached. The first cable plugged in fine, and so did the 2 pin; but the 2nd cable's 2 pin isn't fully seated. It seems to be conflicting a bit with the 6 pin / not slotting into each other properly, so there's a bit of a gap between it & the GPU.

I got both plugged in as much as possible and cut the PC on, and everything powered up fine and seems to be functioning as intended. I'm just a bit worried I might * something up in the long run with things not clipped entirely. Reckon this is OK, or should I give it another go and try pushing until I hear clicks

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not ever need to push that hard to get something to plug in on any PC really.

Are you sure you aren't accidentally plugging in a 6+2 or 8 pin PCIe power cable for the graphics card instead of a CPU/EPS 4+4 pin? Because we've seen people actually do that before even though the keyed shape of the individual pin housings on the plugs and sockets are not keyed the same, we have seen people somehow force them down into those before. Connectors should always be firm but not exceedingly difficult to plug in whether it's PCIe 6 or 8 pin, 24 pin ATX, 4+4 pin EPS or any other kind of connection. If it is, maybe something isn't right and it's best to double check.

It might be necessary for you to remove the AIO first, then make sure your EPS connections are good, then put the AIO back.

morgant5796

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Shortly after posting I tried doing the GPU again, except I put the 6 + 2 pin together before slotting, instead of going one by one. I was able to get that completely flush.

CPU I’d need to remove the AIO, I suppose. I am confident that the cables are right & facing the right way, so with the pressure applied, they’re likely slotted

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Shortly after posting I tried doing the GPU again, except I put the 6 + 2 pin together before slotting, instead of going one by one. I was able to get that completely flush.
That's the correct way to make the connection, as a single connector prior to connection. The +2 is keyed, it's meant to be joined to the 6+ before insertion.

Same applies to the 4+4 EPS/CPU.

morgant5796

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
THanks for the help! I'll mess with the CPU plugs here in a moment.

One thing I've noticed is some strange lag / cutting on my 2nd monitor when I'm tabbing out of games from my first. Say, I tab out of a game to watch a youtube video / look something up, things feel choppy, but my CPU usage and such isn't even remotely high. Not sure what's up with that

morgant5796

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
It was differing refresh rates between the two monitors, if anyone cared to know!

Think I’ve got all my cables sorted now, though. Several days running now issues. Thanks all

TRENDING THREADS