[SOLVED] Psu cables

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi all

I need some help I have been looking for customs
sleeved psu cables and my options are limited as I can only find two brands. The first one is the Corsair which I found the specs. The only problem is I have s SuperFlower-SF-750F14MP(WH) and I’m not sure if the Corsair cables are compatible those are the only ones I could find.Some people said I can use any although it is only Corsair compatible. I also read up that you can use EVGA cables as the psu are similar which I’m not sure But otherwise I will have to import some. The cable specs are down below. Any help would be great.

Corsair cp-8920052 Metallic graphite
  • Individually sleeved modular cable kit
  • Include 2x EPS/ATX (4+4pin) + 2x PCI-Express power 8 (6+2) pin digital + 4x PCI-Express power 8 (6+2) pin + 16x SATA power (4 in 850mm + 12 in 3x 750mm) + 3x 4pin molex
  • No 24pin ATX cable included
  • For AX series; AXi series; TX series; CXM series; CSM series; RM series; HX650/750/750i/850/850i/1000i/1050
Package contents:

Black woven drawstring cable storage pouch:
  • (x4) 6+2 PCI-E cables (600mm)
  • (x2) 6+2 PCI- E pigtail cables (600mm, 750mm)
  • (x2) 4+4 EPS/ATX12V CPU cables (650mm)
  • (x1) SATA Power 4-Head Long cables (850mm)
  • (x3) SATA Power 4-Head Short cables (750mm)
  • (x3) Peripheral 4-pin Molex Power cables (750mm)
- ATX 24PIN CABLE SOLD SEPARATELY

Corsair PSU Compatibility:
  • AXI Series: 1500/1200/860/760
  • AX Series: 860/760
  • HX Series: 1050/850/750/650
  • HXi Series: 1200/1000/850/750
  • TXM Series: 850/750/650/550
  • CXM Series: 750/600/500/430
  • CSM Series: 850/750/650/550/450
  • RM Series: 1000/850/750/650/550/450

Solution
I bought the full set of cables for each PC and the cables with their lengths are:
  • 1 x 24 Pin ATX Cable (600mm)
  • 2 x 4+4 Pin EPS Cable (700mm)
  • 3 x Dual 6+2 Pin PCI-e Cable (750mm)
  • 2 x 6+2 Pin PCI-e Cable (600mm)
  • 1 x Quad SATA Power Cable (850mm)
  • 1 x Quad SATA Power Cable (700mm)
  • 1 x Dual SATA Power Cable (500mm)
  • 1 x Triple 4-Pin Molex Cable (750mm)
  • 1 x Dual 4-Pin Molex Cable (500mm)
  • 1 x Molex to Floppy Adapter (100mm)
Of course, i also bought some additional cables/items in matching color to complete the look:
  • CableMod ModFlex Audio Extension (300mm)
  • 2x CableMod ModFlex Internal USB (300mm)
  • 4x CableMod ModFlex 2-pin Chassis I/O (300mm)
  • CableMod ModFlex 4-pin Fan Cable Extension...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550W [SF-750F14MP] PSU power connectors on the PSU side are in no way same as Corsair PSUs have them. So, buying that cable kit which is meant for Corsair PSUs is a big waste of money for you.

However, EVGA Supernova G3, G2, P2, T2 series PSUs do have the same connections on PSU side as Super Flower Leadex Gold, Platinum, Titanium series. And here, i'd look towards Cablemod E-series custom sleeved cables,
link: https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=e-series&show_products=89

As far as what can be done with Cablemod custom sleeved cables, well, under the spoiler is an image of my PCs where all of them use Cablemod sleeved cables:
Left: Skylake
Middle: Haswell
Right: AMD
Full specs with more pics in my sig.
26r088O.jpg

Last edited:

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Ye your right it is a big waste of money I just wasn’t sure.

Ah that’s great at least I can definitely find some from cable mod. There’s two types though on the webpage nylon and some other type which do I get?

Yours are great wow what length are they 500-600mm?

Is this all that I will need as I don’t want extra unnecessary cables in my case which take up space. Like there’s a daisy chain of sata cables which came with my psu and it’s quiet annoying as there’s 6 and I only use 3.

1x24 pin
1x4+4pin (Cpu) or 1x8pin
2x8pin (2+6)Gpu
+-4 Sata cables

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I bought the full set of cables for each PC and the cables with their lengths are:
  • 1 x 24 Pin ATX Cable (600mm)
  • 2 x 4+4 Pin EPS Cable (700mm)
  • 3 x Dual 6+2 Pin PCI-e Cable (750mm)
  • 2 x 6+2 Pin PCI-e Cable (600mm)
  • 1 x Quad SATA Power Cable (850mm)
  • 1 x Quad SATA Power Cable (700mm)
  • 1 x Triple 4-Pin Molex Cable (750mm)
  • 1 x Dual 4-Pin Molex Cable (500mm)
  • 1 x Molex to Floppy Adapter (100mm)
Of course, i also bought some additional cables/items in matching color to complete the look:
  • CableMod ModFlex Audio Extension (300mm)
  • 2x CableMod ModFlex Internal USB (300mm)
  • 4x CableMod ModFlex 2-pin Chassis I/O (300mm)
  • CableMod ModFlex 4-pin Fan Cable Extension (300mm)
  • CableMod Anodized Aluminum Thumbscrews (10 pack)
  • CableMod ModFlex Basic Cable Comb Kit - Transparent (8 pack)
You can go for a full cable set like i did (e.g in black/yellow color, link). Since your PSU is fully-modular, connect only those cables that you need, while leaving the rest in storage.

2nd option would be buying essentials cable kit (e.g in black/orange, link).

ModFlex - paracord cable sleeving. Thinner wires and easier to bend around corners etc.
ModMesh - PET-based cable sleeving. Thicker wires and harder to bend. But more vibrant colors and many are also UV reacting.

I have ModFlex cables.

Last edited:
Solution

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Jeez that’s so many cables. Does it work out cheaper by going for the full set like you did.The second option I would prefer but obviously I’ll have to buy an additional 2-3 more sata cables. But maybe option 1 is better the full kit. I like the green and black and the orange and black aswell which are nice.

Can you get the combs in different colours or are they standard transparent?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, full set costs the most but it also comes with most cables, including variety among PCI-E, SATA and molex cables. Full set is also for "future proofing" since you may add additional storage drives to your system and need to swap out e.g dual SATA power cable to quad SATA power cable. That's what i ended up doing.

Going with essentials set costs less but gives you only some cables. No molex cables with it though:
  • 1 x 24 pin ATX Cable (600mm)
  • 1 x 4+4 pin EPS Cable (700mm)
  • 2 x 6+2 pin PCI-e Cable (750mm)
  • 1 x Dual SATA Power Cable (850mm)
  • 2 x 26 pin Cable Comb
  • 6 x 8 pin Cable Comb
  • 4 x 6 pin Cable Comb
Most Cablemod cable combs are transparent, but some sets do come with black cable combs as well (e.g this one). Note: not all cable sets come with cable combs included. More info on specific cable set page.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you wrote here, according to their length, seem to be power cable extensions, not the entire power cable starting from PSU and ending at the component. Sure, you can go with power cable extensions but keep in mind that with those, you'll need to use the stock power cables that came with PSU.

Using extensions would look like so:
Cooler-Master-PSU-Sleeved-Extension-Cable-Kit_red-03.jpg

Where's using full cable looks like this:
6R0vbXu.jpg

The latter image is of my own PC (AMD) during the PSU upgrade.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I found a place which make custom modular cables to any length so they have from 300mm to I think 750mm not the cable extensions. But the problem is no modular cables are compatible I was told they have special crystal type head. I have cable extensions in my case at the moment,but I’m doing a new build so I need the modular ones

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that place which makes custom sleeved modular cables for PSUs, they have to know the exact pinout on PSU side to make cables for PSU. If they don't know that, then yes, they can say that they can't make custom sleeved modular cables for Super Flower Leadex Platinum series PSUs.

Cablemod, in the other hand, knows the pinout on Super Flower Leadex Platinum series PSUs and in turn they have created their E-series G3/G2/P2/T2 power cables.

Also, what is this "special crystal type head"? Since it's 1st time i hear anybody saying this about PSU connectors. Gold plated connectors are relatively common but crystal type? :??: Sounds like a bad excuse.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Yes your 100% Correct regarding the E-Series G3 / G2 / P2 / T2 Because I saw EVGA has them.

Sorry what I meant by crystal connectors is the head that goes into the psu,they are like a transparent colour.

I totally agree with you it does sound like a bad excuse and if I had to get cables from there it would be cheaper but I would have to pay more now if I went cablemod.

The company is called https://beyondcustoms.net/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Did some digging and Beyond Customs is located in South Africa. Also, they do not make their own sleeving. Instead, they buy the sleeving from MDPC-X and apply those pre-made sleeves to 16 AWG wires or slightly fatter 15 AWG wires.

On the other hand, Cablemod is located in Hong Kong and they do make their own sleeving as well. ModFlex (paracord) and ModMesh (PET-based). Also, Cablemod uses a bit thinner 18 AWG wire with their power cables.

Here's list of most (if not all) companies worldwide who offer custom sleeving,
link to reddit

Also, custom sleeved power cables are there only for eyecandy and if you want good quality product, it will cost you a premium price. This is so with all products, better build quality = higher manufacture costs = higher price for consumer.

Before i bought my Cablemod power cables, i contacted the OEM of my PSUs: Seasonic (since i have Seasonic PSUs), to ask if Cablemod power cables are safe to use with my PSUs. Seasonic representative replied to me that Cablemod power cables are high quality and equal to those used by Seasonic itself. With approval from PSU OEM that Cablemod cables are safe to use and doesn't void my PSU's warranty (which is 12 years), i went on and bought Cablemod full cable set. I handed out €175 for my Cablemod power cables, which is €31.80 less than my Seasonic SSR-650TD PSU costed.

In the end, it's really up to you how cheap you want to go to get the eyecandy inside the PC right. But keep in mind this: PSU (including it's cables) are the most important component inside the PC since PSU powers everything. You don't want cheapo cables to start melting/catching fire during heavy loads, do you?

You can do same as i did: contact your PSU OEM (Super Flower) and ask them if Beyond Customs cables are safe to use with your PSU or even if they are allowed. Since some PSU OEMs/brands don't like people using 3rd party power cables with their PSUs though.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Ah I never knew that about beyond customs. I did try and email SuperFlower which is also located in Hong Kong but I haven’t had a reply for a week. I totally agree with you 100% it is the most important component and the cables have to be quality.

If company’s have SuperFlower compatible cables does that mean they are still a 3rd party?

I went onto that Uk website and the customs cables came to like £300 including shipping and my psu costs £170 or so. That’s very steep. But they seem legit and good quality.

I got a email back from cablemod in USA and they said sorry they don’t do SuperFlower which I can’t belive because it’s a big company.

No definitely not,that’s the last thing I want is problems with my psu. But I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to find SF compatible cables I mean if you look around evga and Corsair you can’t find with your eyes closed,anywhere around the world.

But let me try sf and see if they reply

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any company who makes products for someone else's products is considered 3rd party. Even subsidiaries can be 3rd party.

It's strange that Cablemod rep would say that they don't do cables for Super Flower units while it's clearly written in their compatibility page,
link: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

Super Flower Leadex platform PSUs are good quality units and on-par with Seasonic units. Though, Super Flower units aren't that widespread as Seasonic / EVGA / Corsair units are. That also explains why the availability for custom sleeved cables is almost non-existent.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Ye I know it is very strange that the rep said that,but it’s fine I’ll go somewhere els. I also need to find a place with good reviews.

I know they really aren’t widespread but the price range on all the power supplies are all around the same mark for a 750w.

Why does the rating having an effect on the powersupply like the modular versions bronze,gold etc

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing who's PSU rating you're talking about, i can't tell on how big of a degree the ease of use and PSU's efficiency play a role in PSU's rating.

But Jonnyguru reviewers have the following ratings: Performance (40% of the final score), Functionality (20% of the final score), Value (20% of the final score), Build Quality (20% of the final score).

Performance includes how PSU operates. Ripple, noise, efficiency etc. As far as efficiency goes, an example:
1kW PSU 80+ Bronze, operating at 50% load, has efficiency of 85%. Meaning that for the 500W it delivers to PC components, PSU pulls 575W from the wall while wasting 75W as heat.
1kW PSU 80+ Titanium, operating at 50% load, has efficiency of 94%. Meaning that for the 500W it delivers to PC components, PSU pulls 530W from the wall while wasting 30W as heat.
So, higher efficiency PSU consumes less power and in turn also wastes less power as excess heat, hence why higher efficiency PSU has a bit higher rating.

Functionality includes documentation, modularity, included cables (with their length) and any controllable fan profile(s) PSU may have. As far as modularity goes, another example:
Fully-wired PSU has all it's cables connected and you need to find a place where to tuck the unused power cables. If you've ever built a system with fully-wired PSU then you'd know how big of a headache fully-wired PSU is on cable management side. (From the pic i linked above, you'd see that i had fully-wired Seasonic S12II-520 before i upgraded PSU to fully-modular Seasonic Focus+ 550 80+ Platinum.)
Semi-modular PSU is much easier to install but it still has 24-pin ATX and 4/8-pin EPS12V cables hardwired to the PSU. Making the PSU installation somewhat inconvenient since you need to pay attention to the wired cables.
Fully-modular PSU is easiest to install. Just pop the unit into the PC and plug the needed cables on to it afterwards.
With this, ease of use and cable management does have a role in PSU's overall rating, albeit not that high of a degree as PSU's performance is.

Value includes price to performance ratio.
If PSU performs poorly but has high price then PSU's value is low. Be Quiet! PSU's are usually priced high with mediocre performance.

And Build Quality includes components used inside it + soldering.

Here's also Jonnyguru review of my SSR-650TD PSU,
link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/10/31/seasonic-prime-650-titanium-power-supply/