Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
I recently purchased a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Series 850w Platinum RGB PSU off of eBay and unfortunately it did not come with all of the cables... What I get for trying to save money.

I have looked everywhere to find replacement cables with no luck... I have 2 flat cable PCI-E cables both 8 pin to 6+2 pin, 1 SATA cable 6pin and a 20+4 power cable with that end with a 14 pin and a 10 pin. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

DSzymborski

Titan
Your best bet, and likely your cheapest bet, is contacting Thermaltake directly. The reason you're having issues finding replacement cables is that modular PSU cables are not universal. The ends that connect to components are, of course, but the pin configurations and pinouts themselves on the PSUs are very different. We frequently get people frying their components by trying to reuse modular cables.

While places like CableMod sell compatible PSU modular cables, these places mostly do it for PSUs that are used by the enthusiasts (since they're the ones who like to buy custom cables). Even though the Toughpower Grands tend to be high-quality PSUs, Thermaltake makes so much low-end stuff that it's not a popular brand among enthusiasts, so there's less demand for compatible aftermarket cables compatible with Thermaltake PSUs.

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Your best bet, and likely your cheapest bet, is contacting Thermaltake directly. The reason you're having issues finding replacement cables is that modular PSU cables are not universal. The ends that connect to components are, of course, but the pin configurations and pinouts themselves on the PSUs are very different. We frequently get people frying their components by trying to reuse modular cables.

While places like CableMod sell compatible PSU modular cables, these places mostly do it for PSUs that are used by the enthusiasts (since they're the ones who like to buy custom cables). Even though the Toughpower Grands tend to be high-quality PSUs, Thermaltake makes so much low-end stuff that it's not a popular brand among enthusiasts, so there's less demand for compatible aftermarket cables compatible with Thermaltake PSUs.

I have gotten in touch with them and unfortunately they didn't have any cables to sell to me for that specific PSU... At this point I'm thinking I just need to buy another power supply... I mean this is unfortunate but it's a learning experience as well, I've never used a fully modular PSU before and so far I'm not a fan lol 😂

DSzymborski

Titan
I have gotten in touch with them and unfortunately they didn't have any cables to sell to me for that specific PSU... At this point I'm thinking I just need to buy another power supply... I mean this is unfortunate but it's a learning experience as well, I've never used a fully modular PSU before and so far I'm not a fan lol 😂

Honestly, even a quality PSU, I would have urged you to not buy used. There are lots of things that are absolutely fine used, such as CPUs. But a PSU is safety equipment, and it's just not a great place to cut costs.

Can you get your money back? If you weren't told that crucial parts of this PSU were missing, that's absolutely grounds for a return on eBay in most cases.

Reactions: Xindrrak

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Honestly, even a quality PSU, I would have urged you to not buy used. There are lots of things that are absolutely fine used, such as CPUs. But a PSU is safety equipment, and it's just not a great place to cut costs.

Can you get your money back? If you weren't told that crucial parts of this PSU were missing, that's absolutely grounds for a return on eBay in most cases.

I'll see if I can return it, I'm still within the time frame I'll keep you posted. Side note what components are acceptable to buy used? I never knew that about the CPU's.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'll see if I can return it, I'm still within the time frame I'll keep you posted. Side note what components are acceptable to buy used? I never knew that about the CPU's.

Generally, RAM, CPUs, motherboards, cases are the best. CPUs especially are quite easy; they generally work or they don't, and they're the component least likely to fail. Well, except the case.

GPUs, storage next tier.

And then PSUs, which I'll try to avoid. You get a bad CPU? You've got a bad CPU. You buy a bad PSU? You might no longer have a GPU or a CPU or both. Imagine if this guy had, instead of leaving you no cables, had left you with whatever cables he scrounged up. Your GPU might be in Silicon Heaven now and you'll have a damned hard time getting that other guy to pay you for it.

I hope you're able to return through eBay's guarantees. You weren't given crucial components to work! If someone sells me a working car, I don't expect the wheels to be missing.

Reactions: Xindrrak

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Generally, RAM, CPUs, motherboards, cases are the best. CPUs especially are quite easy; they generally work or they don't, and they're the component least likely to fail. Well, except the case.

GPUs, storage next tier.

And then PSUs, which I'll try to avoid. You get a bad CPU? You've got a bad CPU. You buy a bad PSU? You might no longer have a GPU or a CPU or both. Imagine if this guy had, instead of leaving you no cables, had left you with whatever cables he scrounged up. Your GPU might be in Silicon Heaven now and you'll have a damned hard time getting that other guy to pay you for it.

I hope you're able to return through eBay's guarantees. You weren't given crucial components to work! If someone sells me a working car, I don't expect the wheels to be missing.

Very good point I didn't even think of that. I mean I'm well over due for an upgrade on everything but burning out other components over a faulty PSU no thanks that's a hard pass for me lol

I knew I was taking a gamble with it I rarely ever look at used items for PC's regardless on what they are. What's your take on refurbished items like... CPU liquid coolers?

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
"refurbished" by whom?
Direct from the manufacturer, maybe. But it won't really be any cheaper, and will probably only have a 30-90 day warranty.

Yeah direct from the manufacturer... I kinda figured that, just better off spending the extra cash and getting brand new.

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Well unfortunately I'm stuck with the PSU... Bastard would only do a partial refund. Claims that Amazon and eBay have the cables that I need but none of them state specifically for my model... Ugh people these days I swear. Not only that it was listed as a 80+ Gold and it turns out to be 80+ Platinum. 🙄

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
"Bought at a second hand store and looks to be like new, cords look like they have never been unwrapped. "

Ambiguous.

Doesn't say all, but doesn't say none.

Seems to me like it would be a gray area other than it listed as a 80+ gold and it being 80+ Platinum but I can't really complain on that part... 😂🤷

DSzymborski

Titan
I guess as lessons go, it's not too bad. Some people show up in these forums and the lesson for using a cheap PSU is frying expensive hardware. Some people, their lesson for not backing up files responsibly is a choice between losing all their family photos or work projects or spending >$1000 on data recovery.

Modular PSUs are great. Just get a new one and get all the stuff with it, plus a warranty!

Xindrrak

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
I guess as lessons go, it's not too bad. Some people show up in these forums and the lesson for using a cheap PSU is frying expensive hardware. Some people, their lesson for not backing up files responsibly is a choice between losing all their family photos or work projects or spending >$1000 on data recovery.

Modular PSUs are great. Just get a new one and get all the stuff with it, plus a warranty!

Well needless to say I'm glad to have signed up and asked my questions. Learned my lesson on skimping out on PSU's lol

Will definitely be coming back and reading discussion's and searching for answers to any questions I have. Thank you everyone for your input it is greatly appreciated!!