PSU capacitor or MB or both

maharvey555

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
So my power went out and when I turned my computer back on nothing. No LED zero.
So I took out the power supply jumpered the green and black wires and it did not start up. I went to bed, and in the morning tried the power supply again and lo and behold it powered up in the jumpered configuration. Happy with my success I reconnected everything and fired it up. Nothing. I remove the power supply again jumper the pins and nothing. Let it sit overnight and again it is working, reconnected just to the 24 and 8 pin connectors and it is dead no MB led nothing. Disconnect it and again not working in the jumpered configuration either.

Could this be some capacitor issue, and if so is the MB the culprit or the PSU? Note that just leaving it off for 1 hour is not sufficient to allow it to restart again it seems to need a minimum of 8 hours, although I have not tested intermediate time intervals.

Note I've already ordered a new power supply, the computer is about 7 years old at this point anyway so am probably going to do a new build, but would like to save this one for my kid.

maharvey555

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018

Thanks, this was indeed the case here as well....New PSU solved it, and my life can now continue.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015

Glad it worked out for ya.

Thankful1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

I have this same circumstance almost to a T. I also bought a new PSU but am still having problems. Wish me luck.