Discussion PSU Caught Fire (EVGA 1000W Gold)

JNicko

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hi all,

My pc for the first time decided to suddenly turn itself off, as if the power plug had been pulled. My cpu and gpu temps were fine, so I pinned it on the psu possibly overheating.

I tried to start the pc again, but the power button promted nothing to start, but the bios light on my mobo was still on, so the psu wasn't quite dead.

After waiting a while, I tried starting my pc, only to hear the psu click once.

After another attempt 5 mins later, a slight sign of life, gpu fans etc.

One more go 15 mins later, led to everything powering up, but a strange noise from the psu. Through a vacant modular power pin hole, I could see a bright orage light, i.e an electrical fire. Of course I powered down instantly and didnt try again, I have since removed the psu amid a room full of a burning scent of electronics.

I will admit it had been a while since I had cleaned my psu, but the fan was working and airflow not obscured. So, setting on fire is still a bit strecthed, no?

What are the chances my other components are damaged?

Specs:

PSU: EVGA 1000W Gold
GPU: EVGA 1080TI FTW3
CPU: i7 6700k
Mobo: ASUS Maximus vii

Thanks in advance

JNicko

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Well, the best you can do is replace it, and cross your fingers hoping that the rest of the machine is OK.

That's the hope, I'm sure everything is fine, I imagine the internal psu fuse would have blew if it was some kinda spike.

Contact Evga anyway. Out of all the electronics firms dealing with pc's, they have the best service and support / warranty dept by far. Push come to shove, they'll maybe look up the psu by manufacturing date by the serial number and cover you anyway. You'll lose nothing by trying.

Actually, you're right....EVGA does track warranty status by serial number, and they are militantly proactive about letting a customer know what warranty entitlements they have.

I called up, and whilst my psu is covered by a default 5 year warranty, I'm a second owner, which downgrades the warranty to 3 years, which they honour pre 2018 even without proof of purchase. Unfortunately, my psu is 4 years old, and the chaps weren't keen on handing out exceptions to the rule.

Ordered a new PSU earlier, shouls only be pc'less til tomorrow evening :eek:

Last edited: