PSU causing bad overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s26rech

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hi, I just bought an i7 6700k but it smeems very unlucky. To reach stable 4.6ghz I have to set 1.36v and sometimes I get BSOD even if the voltage is very high! The last 3570k wasn't able to go higher than 4.5ghz, than could the psu be the problem? I'm saying this because I have a bad Cooler Master Thunder 700W! The W shouldn't be the problem, but the quality maybe is the cause of everything, what do you think? Thank you anyway!

s26rech

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Yes, with skylake rising clocks should be easy and safe, 1.36v isn't normal I think.

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
There are many possible problems.
You may not have a good overclocker.
You may get a better oc on a different motherboard, different motherboards give different results when using the same CPU.
Your PSU may not deliver stable voltage under load.

I have to disagree. I have a AMD A8 5600k default core 3.6 with a turbo boost of 3.9. I cant run fortnite at stock without very frequent freezing. So I decided to go in AMD Overdrive n overclock to 4.1 with 1.44v. Its not stable I think because my PSU is failing and my BIOSTAR A55ML2 system was a rip off system from ebay I ended up dumping 400$ into (the board has no USB 3.0 but it has a unconnected usb 3 port in the front with a non connnected wire in the body) so I do not expect anything good out of this system but Im saving now for a new PC because this is on its way out but since I overclocked, I do get game crashes, and the pc does restart while watching youtube (still playing with voltages, I have no Idea about RAM timings to compensate n my BIOS has VERY limited options for OC'ing).

With that said, I got a MASSIVE improvement in performance by OC'ing to where I was able to raise the game settings from low to high with no performance decrease which was better performance than at low settings.

In some instances OC'ing can help massively if you have the right hardware and also the "know how" to do it properly without OC'ing software like me.

Jason, to be fair you are on budget cpu where a little more performance can make a big difference as it creates more spare capacity beyond what the OS needs. The cpu in question will have loads of spare capacity over and above the OS needs.

I'm closing this thread now as it is from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.