[SOLVED] psu causing fps drop in games?

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
I have posted a similar post as this but received no replies so i ll try make a better post
Here is a screenshot during i was playing Rust =
View: https://i.imgur.com/nmQ919p.png

i hear that the GPU usage should be 99-100% or it is "bottlenecking."
since i have a good CPU it should be good enough for the GPU i have.
so i wonder if this is a sign that the PSU might not be working well?
I also had problems with mouse lagging when loading programs or games but i think this was solved by i put the power cable better into the computer.
my computer specs are = i5 8600k. gtx 1070 ti. 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram. Asus PRIME Z370-P and i run games also on regular SSD.
my problem is also that i have fps drops in half of the games that i play
anybody that knows anything about this? answers are greatly appreciated.
// SC777

Last edited:
Solution
technically every PC will be " bottlenecking" because if there was no component slowing it down then it would be infinitely fast which unfortunately that does no exist.

anyway onto your problem its probably not the CPU/GPU/PSU its probably just the game not using all of the system resources and you probably have a frame cap on which means that it is much easier for the PC to game, and if you turn of the frame cap the GPU will probably be at 99%-100%.

also totally unrelated but bit extreme with 3200MHz memory with a 8600K. although its not for me to judge.

Tom_nerd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
technically every PC will be " bottlenecking" because if there was no component slowing it down then it would be infinitely fast which unfortunately that does no exist.

anyway onto your problem its probably not the CPU/GPU/PSU its probably just the game not using all of the system resources and you probably have a frame cap on which means that it is much easier for the PC to game, and if you turn of the frame cap the GPU will probably be at 99%-100%.

also totally unrelated but bit extreme with 3200MHz memory with a 8600K. although its not for me to judge.

Reactions: shadowcat777
Solution

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019

yeah before i was going to buy this ram mhz i looked up my cpu and it was working with the i5 8600k.
i know it would be better with an AMD Cpu however. i usually do not do v sync.
another question though, might it be a good idea to change the cpu to a i7 9700k ?
would this maybe improve gaming, and be better with the RAM?

and another question is it worth upgrading to a SSD m.2 or does it work with the older SSD drives?
this is the SSD i have = Sandisk 480GB SSD Plus, 2.5", SATA III, 535/445 MB/s

Last edited: