Question PSU Clicking noise on BIOS

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello
As the title says , my PSU makes a clicking sound(not constant ) on low power demanding tasks i guess
When accessing BIOS my PSU will make a clicking noise occasionally ( the same noise when i press the power button on my PC to turn it ON)
There is no noise when booting up the PC except for this initial clicking noise but i guess that it is the PSU turning ON
This noise also happens on a memory diagnostic from windows (again , low power usage)
I have a 500w PSU i5 9400f 1060 6gb tuf b360 gaming plus 8gb ram
Note that normal use is fine and this sound does not happen when gaming or browsing ( no BSOD , freezing , shutdown restart nothing)
I´ve read somewhere that this is a undervolt protection from PSU
I plug my PC directly into the power outlet
Is this safe or there is a problem?
Thank you
Also bios on default

Hello
As the title says , my PSU makes a clicking sound(not constant ) on low power demanding tasks i guess
When accessing BIOS my PSU will make a clicking noise occasionally ( the same noise when i press the power button on my PC to turn it ON)
There is no noise when booting up the PC except for this initial clicking noise but i guess that it is the PSU turning ON
This noise also happens on a memory diagnostic from windows (again , low power usage)
I have a 500w PSU i5 9400f 1060 6gb tuf b360 gaming plus 8gb ram
Note that normal use is fine and this sound does not happen when gaming or browsing ( no BSOD , freezing , shutdown restart nothing)
I´ve read somewhere that this is a undervolt protection from PSU
I plug my PC directly into the power outlet
Is this safe or there is a problem?
Thank you
Also bios on default

What 500W PSU (make/model)?

It's a single click or a repeating click click click?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
What 500W PSU (make/model)?

It's a single click or a repeating click click click?

Just a single click while on BIOS or low demading tasks( memory diagnostic from windows)
but never on windows or while running games

Sometimes it does not even happen if i leave the BIOS fast enough

It happens once in BIOS and then it stops

In the memory diagnostic it happened because it takes a bit of time to complete

I think it is the same noise when i first press the power button to turn ON the PC but i´m not sure

This sound also happens when shutting down the PC ( A normal computer shutdown through windows , not anything hard)

This is my PSU https://www.pichau.com.br/hardware/fonte/fonte-pichau-gaming-nidus-500w-bronze-80-plus-pg-5001-br-01

It is produced by channel well technology , also there is a test on a very reliable channel here in my country and it says that this is a good PSU

I have my PC for 3 months and i didn´t have any issue with it

It is just this clicking sound on BIOS and low demanding tasks ( never on windows )

Is this anything harmful?

Thank you

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
If that's how the PSU is designed to operate, how would it be harmful?

CWT has a number of platforms that will switch from LLC mode to burst mode at loads < 10%. This allows the PSU to have an efficiency of 70% even at loads as low as 2%.

I´m sorry , pretty new to PC gaming and this clicking noise got me bothered
I thought something was wrong with my computer
But if it is okay then fine
Thank you

TRENDING THREADS