[SOLVED] PSU clicks on for a split second then immediately clicks off

May 6, 2021
I ran a program that turned on all my CPU cores at the same time. Then my computer immediately turned off. I attempted to turn it on again with the power button. Unfortunately the PSU clicked on for a split second then immediately clicked off. This behaviour persists when ever I click the power button.

View: https://youtu.be/urCnt4K9ttw

Any ideas/help is good!

P.S.
The click sounds like a relay or solenoid in the PSU? I notice a green LED turns on for a moment on the PSU.

Also, this PC has worked fine for 3.5 years.

Here are the specs:

POWERSUPPLY:
CORSAIR 1500W PRO SERIES TITANIUM AX1500i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU

CPU:
Intel® Core i9-7900X Ten Core (3.30GHz )

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s

RAM:
128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (6 x 16GB)

HARDDRIVE:
1TB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1800MB/W)

GPU:

11GB EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti (x3)

Last edited:
Solution
Breadboarding is where you have cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in A2, mains power and eps power done outside the case, generally on the box the motherboard came in, but anything non conductive is kosher.

And that's it. No mouse, no storage, no monitor, nothing else. If it will boot and stay, that's when you can start adding seperate items. 1 more ram, or 1 mouse or monitor cable then monitor. Just 1 thing at a time, reboot each time. Save storage for last.

If it fails from the start, with new boards you'll usually get stuck on 1 led. That's generally a clue. If you get stuck on vga, some motherboards require a working gpu installed or you will get that error.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug the psu for a few seconds, then plug back in. Power supplies are always on unless you unplug/turn off switch on the psu. The power button just allows the bios to startup the OS.

Not sure how, but you've tripped protective circuitry that needs to be reset. You have an issue somewhere, a short or something like that.

May 6, 2021
Hi Karadjgne, thanks for your quick response.

I agree, it feels like the power supply is reacting to a short circuit.

I already tried unplugging the power supply. I turned off the switch and unplugged the kettle plug. I even left the power supply unplugged for 24 hours. I plugged back in the kettle plug today and tried again today, but the problem still persists :(

May 6, 2021
Hi King Dranzer, thanks for your message. I have followed all your instructions. My PSU kettle plug appears un-burnt upon careful inspection. I have also unplugged my PSU. Still to no avail though :(

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then you are going to need to disassemble the pc. Check every single wire, especially ones going through gaps or around sheet metal corners, look for nicks or cuts or melted insulation, don't forget the case wiring.
You should really pull the motherboard completely out too, especially if you find nothing in the wiring, check the frontside and backside for scorch marks, check the tray and the case for scorches etc. Look for possible incorrect standoff installs.

Check the cpu mount, socket, check everything with a fine tooth comb.

Something is tripping that psu.

May 6, 2021
Hi Karadjgne. Thanks. It seems I have to take it all apart :) I will try to boot with just the motherboard, 1 stick of ram and the HD, all separated from the case.

The situation occurred after I turned on all my CPU cores at once. Maybe something burnt? Or maybe the PSU needs to be replaced?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Breadboarding is where you have cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in A2, mains power and eps power done outside the case, generally on the box the motherboard came in, but anything non conductive is kosher.

And that's it. No mouse, no storage, no monitor, nothing else. If it will boot and stay, that's when you can start adding seperate items. 1 more ram, or 1 mouse or monitor cable then monitor. Just 1 thing at a time, reboot each time. Save storage for last.

If it fails from the start, with new boards you'll usually get stuck on 1 led. That's generally a clue. If you get stuck on vga, some motherboards require a working gpu installed or you will get that error.

Reactions: ccosnett
Solution