Question PSU coil whine, anything I should try to reduce it?

Dec 5, 2022
Hi everyone, I am experiencing some coil whine from my PSU and I wonder if I could try something to reduce or eliminate it (other than replacing the PSU), or anything else that I could test.

Here's what happens:

-There's no noise at all when I browse all the BIOS settings
-The moment Windows (also tried Linux) starts loading, the noise (slight electrical noise) appears.
-Once the OS loads, if I do absolutely nothing, there's noise (slight but perfectly audible).
If I start to move the mouse, the noise increases accompaning the mouse movements. That increased noise with the mouse happens with different mouses connected to different USB ports, even using PS2 mouse port. The noise also happens with no mouse/keyboard connected.
- If I start an AIDA stability test, the noise completely disappears once the CPU reaches 100% usage. The moment I stop the test, the noise comes back.

And what I've tried so far:

-A few days ago I tested that same PSU on the same PC case with a different motherboard+CPU, and I don't recall having heard that noise.
-I've used the current motherboard+CPU on a different PC case+PSU and I've got no noise.
-I've tested a different CPU, same noise.
-I've got the same noise with the CPU integrated graphic card or if I use a dedicated one
-I've disconnected all case fans and hard drives. And I still get the noise with a Linux live USB and no noise in the BIOS.
-Motherboard's 12V, 5V and 3.3V voltages shown in HWInfo seem to be fine.
-I've tried different power sockets (grounded) and also with a Salicru EMI/RFI multi-socket adaptor with EMI/RFI filter, and still have the same noise.

I bought the PSU second hand (so no warranty, that's why I'd prefer to try things before ditching it), and the first time I tried it, there was a horrible noise coming from the fan, so it was disassembled and got an oil drop on the fan (which fixed the fan noise). In that process a piece of transparent plastic that came inside was left outside by mistake, but I am being told that it's not important.

System specs:
-CPU: A10 6800k
-Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3HP
-RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2400Mhz
-PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-M2
-PC case: Cooler Master K350

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am experiencing some coil whine from my PSU and I wonder if I could try something to reduce or eliminate it (other than replacing the PSU), or anything else that I could test
PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-M2

There is nothing serviceable for you inside the PSU. The unit you own isn't good and as such you're only option is to replace it with something that is branded and has quality internals. Coolermaster make good quality units, just that the unit you have is a bad one...meaning you buy a more expensive unit(working your way up the PSU tier list).

I bought the PSU second hand (so no warranty, that's why I'd prefer to try things before ditching it)
That(buying used) was your second mistake. The first one would be investing in a bad quality PSU.

there was a horrible noise coming from the fan, so it was disassembled and got an oil drop on the fan (which fixed the fan noise). In that process a piece of transparent plastic that came inside was left outside by mistake, but I am being told that it's not important.
You might want to look up instances of people who have lost their homes due to a fire or worse, their lives. Please stop what you're doing and invest in a better quality PSU.

Dec 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am experiencing some coil whine from my PSU and I wonder if I could try something to reduce or eliminate it (other than replacing the PSU), or anything else that I could test
PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-M2

There is nothing serviceable for you inside the PSU. The unit you own isn't good and as such you're only option is to replace it with something that is branded and has quality internals. Coolermaster make good quality units, just that the unit you have is a bad one...meaning you buy a more expensive unit(working your way up the PSU tier list).

I bought the PSU second hand (so no warranty, that's why I'd prefer to try things before ditching it)
That(buying used) was your second mistake. The first one would be investing in a bad quality PSU.

there was a horrible noise coming from the fan, so it was disassembled and got an oil drop on the fan (which fixed the fan noise). In that process a piece of transparent plastic that came inside was left outside by mistake, but I am being told that it's not important.
You might want to look up instances of people who have lost their homes due to a fire or worse, their lives. Please stop what you're doing and invest in a better quality PSU.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Before buying another PSU, I would very much love to have some answers.

What's the little piece of thin transparent plastic inside the PSU exactly for?

I've done further testing:

1) I've connected the PSU to a SFF case with a different motherboard but the very same model (Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3HP) with a different CPU (A10-7800) and I've got the exact same result, the noise coming from the PSU starts the moment that Windows starts loading.

2) I've also connected the PSU to a different system, this time with a MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS motherboard + Ryzen 2200G CPU, and I've got NO noise at all, the PSU is quieter than a mouse.

Why is it that I've got no noise with the Ryzen system but I've got the noise with two different Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3HP motherboards? I am quite curious now.

How can I know for sure that the new PSU won't make noise the Gigabyte motherboard?