Question PSU Coil Whine Comes Through Headpsones As Well

Aug 7, 2020
Hello,

My PSU started to make this high pitched sound today. I have been using the pc for about 4 months, and this is the first time this happened. The strange thing is, it can be heard through the headphones too. I'm not sure if it is coil whine or what, can coil whine leak to the headphones? It is not a continuous sound, it comes and goes.

I tried plugging the headphones to the port on the MOBO in the back, the port on the case in the front, and to the headphone port of my monitor, which is connected to the graphics card through display port. The sound comes through all the ports.

I'm 80% sure it is coming from the PSU.

I live in a suburban area, so maybe the power in my house is not very clean, maybe the grounding is poor. Do you guys have any idea what could cause this problem, and how I can solve it?
More importantly, can it damage the other components?

Here is the sound: View: https://soundcloud.com/mansur-amil-g-ng-r/coil-whine

My system:
PSU: Gigabyte Aorus P750 80+ Gold
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB

Lutfij

Titan
Most likely what you're experiencing is white noise that apparently can and will come from electrical interference in your system. You might want to see if you've got any BIOS updates pending, as well as reinstalling your audio drivers.

Speaking of headphones, what is the make and model of said audio gear? How it's connected to the system can and will amplify the white noise.

Aug 7, 2020
Most likely what you're experiencing is white noise that apparently can and will come from electrical interference in your system. You might want to see if you've got any BIOS updates pending, as well as reinstalling your audio drivers.

Speaking of headphones, what is the make and model of said audio gear? How it's connected to the system can and will amplify the white noise.

I use an Audio Technica ATH-M40x. It is connected through a regular cable, nothing in between. Btw, the sound doesn't only come from the headphones. It is physically coming from the PSU as well, the recording I attached is the sound coming from the PSU. The same sound comes as noise through the headphones too.

If it is electrical interference, could it damage the other components?