PSU Coil Whine or smth. else?

Ridiche Salatoi

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Hi. I bought about a week ago a new PSU (Corsair RMx 650w) as my old one was dying. I noticed some noise coming from it like a buzz on idle (you have to be really close to it to hear it) and it gets a little louder on load. It sounds about like in this video, but not really as loud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAs3PUvJR0 , or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7L7dCTljhQ
Is it coil whine or smth. else? I hope not, as coil whine is not a problem for me, since it doesn't cause any harm.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
All switching regulators will produce some degree of coil whine due to magnetostriction and piezoelectric effect in SMD capacitors. If you "don't hear it", it only means that you either aren't sensitive to the frequencies involved or the noise is too faint to be a bother under normal circumstances.

Excessive coil whine can be either a sign of poor design / the designer not caring for human comfort / the equipment being intended for noisy environments where that doesn't really matter, or it can be a sign of failing components. I've had a PSU many years ago develop a pretty loud coil whine due to bad capacitors. I replaced the capacitors, now that PSU works good as new.

InvalidError

Titan
All switching regulators will produce some degree of coil whine due to magnetostriction and piezoelectric effect in SMD capacitors. If you "don't hear it", it only means that you either aren't sensitive to the frequencies involved or the noise is too faint to be a bother under normal circumstances.

Excessive coil whine can be either a sign of poor design / the designer not caring for human comfort / the equipment being intended for noisy environments where that doesn't really matter, or it can be a sign of failing components. I've had a PSU many years ago develop a pretty loud coil whine due to bad capacitors. I replaced the capacitors, now that PSU works good as new.

Solution

Ridiche Salatoi

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015

But if it is not that loud, I guess is not a problem. Thank you for your answer.