[SOLVED] PSU Coil Whine

AimanS

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
So my pc, everytime it is under load, either cpu or gpu at high usage. It will make the coil whine. At first, I thought maybe it was just the gpu or the cpu. Then I opened the tempered glass then I found where was the coil whine was from. It came from the PSU. Okay so, is it necessary to rush a brand new power supply unit? Or claim warranty maybe? The pc is like only 5-6 months old. It is indeed a custom one that I choose the parts from the same shop and built it there. It was my first pc. So, the psu I am using now is the Segotep BP500W 80+ Bronze Full Modular. I am planning to change it to Silverstone Strider 80+ Gold 650W. Is this one good? Or do you guys have any suggestions?

My PC Specs:-
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Patriot Signature Line Premium 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Biostar TB350-BTC (I was dumb enough to not recognize it was a mobo for bitcoin but I only using it for casual use and a bit of gaming, is it fine tho?)
Sapphire RX580 8GB GDDR5 Special Edition (Blue White in Colour)
Patriot Burst 240GB
Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 1TB
Segotep BP500W 80+ Bronze
5 Case Fans (2 Outtakes, 3 Intakes)
CPU cooler is the one came with the CPU Wraith Stealth i think

Solution
You should change that PSU out to another, more reliable branded, unit. Where are you located, what sort of units do you have access to and how much can you spend on a PSU? For wattage, you're going to need at least a 650W unit for the entire system so your Silverstone unit you're looking at is a good option though if there are other options at your disposal, it'd be a best checked.

Lutfij

Titan
You should change that PSU out to another, more reliable branded, unit. Where are you located, what sort of units do you have access to and how much can you spend on a PSU? For wattage, you're going to need at least a 650W unit for the entire system so your Silverstone unit you're looking at is a good option though if there are other options at your disposal, it'd be a best checked.

Solution

AimanS

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016

I'm from Malaysia. I'm in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur can also be reached, its not that far. Is my motherboard okay tho? Around the silverstone psu price, around 85USD, RM359 in my country currency. Please do give recommendations. But is it necessary to rush it or it's possible to postpone it another 5 month-ish?

A cheap power supply can not only go out but take out anything connected to it. What do you have available in your area? Silverstones are good but overprices. Most Corsairs are good. Higher-end Cooler Master and Antec units are also good. EVGA are also a good brand.

AimanS

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
A cheap power supply can not only go out but take out anything connected to it. What do you have available in your area? Silverstones are good but overprices. Most Corsairs are good. Higher-end Cooler Master and Antec units are also good. EVGA are also a good brand.

So if I avoid triple A games, am I good till I get enough for a new psu?