[SOLVED] PSU Coil Whine

MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
Hi everyone! I bought myself a Corsair CV 650 power supply for my PC, as my old PSU didn't many watts on the 12v rail, or at least not enough to add a graphics card into my system.

After month and a few days of gaming on my PC, I heard some really loud whining when I started a CS:GO match, something I hadn't heard before when doing the exact same thing. The sound went away after a few seconds, and everyting went back to normal. However, the same thing happened when I started a second match. Again, my PC went really loud for a couple of seconds and then back to normal.

After this happened, I decided to turn my system on, move everyting to an open table, opened my side panel, and started carefully listening to each PC part. This is how I deternined the noice came from the power supply, and nod the graphics card.

I know this is not one of Corsair's best, or top quality, unit, so I was expecting some coil whining, but the noises it produced were well over that. I guess my question is, can I ask the seller to change my unit because of this?

Solution
My current graphics card is a 2060 KO ultra from EVGA

Yeeh. That's why.

Nvidia Turin 20 series cards make the transformer in double forward PSUs sing. Not harmful (I don't believe), but annoying.

Probably should use a better PSU with a $300+ graphics card. Something with LLC resonant.

MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
Yeeh. That's why.

Nvidia Turin 20 series cards make the transformer in double forward PSUs sing. Not harmful (I don't believe), but annoying.

Probably should use a better PSU with a $300+ graphics card. Something with LLC resonant.

So, just to be clear, even if the PSU is the one making noise, the problem originates in the GPU?

Unfortunatelly, there is almost no stock of power supplies in my country, and there only are "entry-level" or lower quality units. Also, said units are extremelly overpriced.

I'll se what I can get, but thanks for helping me anyways!!

MatthewJamess

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
No. Not quite.

Because of the way the GPU uses power, the PSU makes the noise. Power consumption of PC parts are never static loads and some hardware is more variable than others. Like a Turin 20 series, Vega series, etc.

Oh, ok. I think I get it now.

So, using my waranty to change my unit for another one will most likely not solve de problem,right? As all units are built the same way, and the problem I'm having is wirh the model ai chose, and not my specific unit.

Btw, I just realized who you are, and I would like to take a moment to say thay your page is incredible!, and to thank you for everything you do for thid community.

Oh, ok. I think I get it now.

So, using my waranty to change my unit for another one will most likely not solve de problem,right? As all units are built the same way, and the problem I'm having is wirh the model ai chose, and not my specific unit.

It has to do with the "topology". It's just the "nature of the beast".

If you look at the spreadsheet in the tier list, you'll see some units are labeled as "DF" and others as "LLC" in the "primary conversion" column on the "units index" tab. Pretty much all DF's are noisy due to "hard switching".

It's not harmful. At least I've never seen a failure due to it. It's just annoying.